CS15 -- The Official Michigan Chicken Stock Information Thread for June 20, 2015

This is disappointing for sure. The director of MDARD does have the authority, under Animal Industry Act 466.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ra...5))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-466-of-1988.pdf

And it looks like Michigan was placed under quarantine, according to their website: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdard/Poultry_Quarantine_Final_1_490684_7.pdf?20150602144903

I have no idea how they would enforce it though...

I'm not sure what you are pointing to in the first document. It's 30 pages, and I didn't quickly see anything about cancelling swaps. However, the second document I had not seen until now. To actually declare a quarantine is a whole other thing than saying swaps are "cancelled". Maybe it is just my interest in words having meaning. Regardless, I had no plans to bring any birds to Chickenstock, but it sure will change the mood, particularly for the kids. I'll still be there though.

Yeah, it really stinks for my kids this year. They wanted to show their birds. :(

Sorry mcbeers, I was referring to RaZ's comment earlier about them not having the authority. That Act is really long to read through. Page 10 states what the quarantines are about, and page 28 states what the penalties are. Trying to find out more info myself, my girls are going to be crushed.

Well, I was agreeing with him. All I had seen was a letter from Dr. Averill. I don't think RaZ had seen the quarantine notice either. But I'm not sure. I doubt there is authorization to cancel events in that document, but a quarantine is a bit more specific. Chickenstock is more of a family reunion sort of event, that happens to allow for an animal swap. So, I guess they did "cancel" the animal swap portion of it. Regardless, my 6 year old daughter is not going to enjoy it quite as much either.

I hadn't seen it either until just a little while ago when I was digging for more info. My daughters were showing birds this year for their first time, and I was really looking forward to coming out to CS. Being from the Charlotte area it's really close to home!

I've decided not to attend. I've worked very hard on my exhibition lines, and my stock is too valuable to me to take any chances. Very sorry to anyone wishing to purchase birds, but I'm more than happy to make other arrangements (PM me). I'll sure miss visiting with everyone & catching up, but again, I just don't want to take any chances.

I'm also more than happy to provide the hot dogs for grilling...if someone would like to pick them up from me or meet me somewhere in or near Flint. Please let me know a week ahead so I can buy them.

I was planning to bring duck eggs from Gail, too; I'm happy to pass those along to someone else that may be going as well.

Having no chickens will be good.. that way I won't buy any lol but I am wondering will there be other animals to buy there? Also I wouldn't mind having a bat house RAZ...... I have the perfect spot picked out to put one next to my pond. Also should I just bring a dish to pass or do I have to tell you beforehand what I am bringing?

This is interesting. Does Raz make bat houses? I used to volunteer for the Organization for Bat Conservation in Bloomfield back in the late 90's. They have an awesome bat house design,different sizes and made of cedar. I was thinking of ordering one myself. So, whats the deal? I don't mind buying from Raz. :)
If anyone near me has bat problems, give me a shout, I have my rabies shots. Questions also welcome. :)

I've decided not to attend. I've worked very hard on my exhibition lines, and my stock is too valuable to me to take any chances. Very sorry to anyone wishing to purchase birds, but I'm more than happy to make other arrangements (PM me). I'll sure miss visiting with everyone & catching up, but again, I just don't want to take any chances.

I'm also more than happy to provide the hot dogs for grilling...if someone would like to pick them up from me or meet me somewhere in or near Flint. Please let me know a week ahead so I can buy them.

I was planning to bring duck eggs from Gail, too; I'm happy to pass those along to someone else that may be going as well.
Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom