Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

my cubalaya bantams, obviously still molting. I was adding more/new bedding as i was taking the pics.

DSCN5897.jpg

DSCN5895.jpg

DSCN5896.jpg

DSCN5847.jpg

DSCN5846.jpg

I've got a young trio I'll post pics of later.

I have couple of cubalaya chickens. One pullet and one cockerel and they are very gentle and docile birds. I love these chickens and they are slow grower.

Cubalaya-on multiple spurs- Basically, the multiple spur trait is dominant, however, if you have 2 copies of that gene, you will get more, and better, multiple spurs. A hen can carry the multiple spur gene, so, you can cross a single spurred cock to a hen carrying the multiple spur trait, and, if she has 2 copies of the gene, all the cocks will have multiple spurs. If she has only one copy, then half the cocks will come multi, half single. Or, vice versa, basically it works like any other dominant trait, like rose comb, or feathered feet, where only one copy gets you the trait, but 2 are needed to look right. I can tell which hens have the multi spur gene, they will show 4 spur buds on each leg, sometimes, 2-3, but never just one. A hen carrying only the single spur will only have 1 spur bud. Once I figured this out, it has been easier to fix this trait in my birds. I started out with one single spurred cock, and 3 hens, only one of which had one gene for multiple spurs, so, my first year, about 1/4 of my cocks overall came multiple spurred. However, by this year, 75% of my pure line cocks have come multiple spurred, and 1/4 of my grade line are coming multiple spurs. I hope to have all of them multiple spurred in another year. Another note, one copy of the multi gene only gets you maybe 2 spurs per leg, sometimes 2 on one leg, and one on another, you need to be pure for multi spurrs to get 4-6 spurs per leg. Cubalaya multiple spurs also are not quite the same as Sumatra multi spurs. Hope that helps!!!

Back
Top Bottom