Cuckoo Marans

Such beautiful birds! I am new to this breed and know very little about them. I have two chicks that are four weeks old, along with 8 other chicks the same age and 3 adults. I thought all Marans were French and some people just left it off the name. Silly me! I love those leg feathers! My two are clean legged, and I unfortunately do not have any photos that show them well, but they just moved from the brooder to the coop this week. Thank you for sharing pictures and some information to get me started. This is exactly why I joined BYC!
thumbsup.gif

That's cool about the broody hatch.

I've got three hens and with the heat starting to turn up the last two weeks, the broodiness factor has also. They're all still laying some nice big eggs, but one is looking to turn.

First time cuckoo chicken lady here! Well, I don't have them, yet, the are shipping out May 16. After a 2 month set back from running out of chicks
1f62b.png
Anyways, question about their eggs. Are they dark at first and then lighten up for good? Or do you get a dark one and a lighter color here and there? TIA! ;)

In order for a chicken to be a marans, according to the standard, they must lay a dark egg of a 4 rating or better (egg chart can be ordered from the marans club).

With that being said, consistent darkness of eggs the whole season is not typical. Usually they start out sporadic, then get a consistent color and often get lighter from there. At least that's what I've seen with the dark laying marans I have.

I only pick eggs to judge color after the pullet has been laying a consistent egg for three weeks or so.

Good luck with your birds.

Do you think this is possibly a CM roo? It is 12 weeks old, no crowing, I ordered 3 BR's, and 1 CM Pullet, the other three birds are much darker and have yellow legs, so I would assume BR due to the yellow legs, but I had expected a darker chicken for my CM. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom