Cuckoo marans

celebrate.gif

I bought this chick from a feed store that gets their chicks from Privett Hatchery!

Here is Seraphina:
(Please ignore the purple dot - the feed store told me Privett does that to all their Cuckoo Marans
so everyone can tell them apart from Barred Rocks!)

She's a greedy little bugger and when I give them mealworm treats.. she is always the first one to run up and grab them!
She's only about 1 week and 5-6 days but she's faster than my older chicks!

This resulted in her having a HUGE crop that did not go away when she woke up!
It was so hard and huge. Luckily I noticed it the next day!
I used a straw to "feed" some extra virgin olive oil to her then opened her beak and dropped some chick grit in
then supplemented all the chicks water with vitamins!
They have a little saucer full of chick grit to have as they please but I guess she didn't know what it was yet?
Anyway, her crop was deflated today and she is a happy girl!

Last edited:
Hi she s cute a little girl, she is an English Type ( featherless legs). I like a cuckoo marans and i have more than a hundred of them .they lay a darkest eggs in my farm.my line still work on progress .
I started my line ( first one in the country) last year from a Cuckoo rooster Charlie imported from England as fertile egg ( featherless like yours.) he was pure silver cuckoo marans .I crossed him to my wheaten hens Cleo and ET ( both lay number 5 color eggs ) I got 8 pullets all feathered leg and 3 cockerels.no feathers on they legs .
5 out of the 8 pullets lay dark egg 6/7 the other 3 lay egg like they mams 5.
this year I put Charlie the cuckoo rooster and the father over his 5 daughters to get F2. I have over 40 chicks from them .silver cuckoo and dark cuckoo chick most of them french type.
no I m working with F1 cuckoo X F1 cuckoo ( half brothers sisters) to get different F2 B. from this cross i m getting silver cuckoo chicks ,dark cuckoo chicks, black chicks and yellow chicks. I m only keeping the cuckoos ( silver and dark ) for the next breeding season .
I m very happy with them .is going to take me couples more years to breed them pure french type.
here few photos of them. Enjoy

First photos Charlie. 2nd his Daughters F1 Chelsea, Cheese, Cheatah.3 and 4 the F2 they babies .
J ANTONIO S

I hatched a mix breed that looks like these. I'm looking at this breed to raise. I'm going to get them from Cackle, I think.. as I bought some Black Copper, Blue, and Splash Marans locally. They are about 6 weeks old. I noticed when I was worming they have deformed feet and green instead of orange eyes. Suggestions?

Hi RetiredRon. deformed feet is a Fault, but the grey/green eyes is normal they ll change as they grow.
need photos of you Black coppr and splash Chicks so we can see how they look like .
the cuckoo are gorgeous chooks and they are auto sexing at hatch, the girls have a small white dot and the boys have a large white dot .that for a dark cuckoos .
Silver cuckoo are the same for the girls small white dot but a boys are different they are silver/grey with a large white dot on they had.

you see a difference between a Silver cuckoo cockerels No feathered leg ( English type) and the Dark cuckoo with a feathered legs.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm replying to it with my question in the hopes that one of you experts who sees Cuckoos all the time can help.

Our new Cuckoo Marans is about 10 days old and I'm worried she (?) might be a male.
I'm noticing some feathers on the top of her back that are rather surprising to me, and based on other pics I've seen in this forum and online, her (?) coloring does seem a little lighter.
I've attached a couple pics if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance!!

The barring is more pronounced than the pullet chicks of the same breed that I have raised in the past. They are one of my favorite breeds, but I am no expert. I have never had a Cuckoo Marans rooster, but based on the amount of barring I see in the picture, I would guess cockerel. Just my opinion, though.

she is a pullet .she only carry 1 barring gene B the other one is not expressed. that why she is darker than a boy s.
here the formula for you.if they are pure silver cuckoo or golden cuckoo ;
Males are lighters .they are double barred BB
female are darker ,they have only one gene expressed so they are B/-

if you see a dark cockerel with just one gene B .that mean not pure

hope that help

chooks man

Thought I'd join the thread since the chickens from the "barred rock" hatching eggs I purchased last year are actually cuckoo marans. Yeah, been scratching my head looking at these birds and saying, "no way that's even a poor example of a production hatchery barred rock". Factors finally pushing me into the cuckoo marans camp was after studying the standards, these birds have absolutely no yellow on them. White skin, beaks and shanks match the marans description to the letter. Their type fits the standard and their weights are right on target (top two pullets in full lay with large eggs weight in over 6 lbs.)The pullets barring is especially cuckoo looking with them being the typical dark. All these birds were selecting from chicks for fast feathering. I did have another cockerel, but lost him and he was bigger than the current one I have, so the potential for keeping these birds solid as far as size and type goes has a lot of promise. As for the egg color, pretty lame for a marans, but does have more of the russet coloring than your typical American heritage brown egg layer (than barred rock, which was another head scratcher). But, unfortunately, the egg color is pretty poor. Technically they're not marans...yet. Here they are. Those undercover cuckoos:

Barry, the "Barred Rock"

The girls

I do also keep some black copper marans (yes, really are BCM's...dark eggs and all), so these birds are now some starting stock for a possible project.
roll.png

Hi MBK Farm your chooks have some marans on them .how much i can t tell. they marans side come from a English type cuckoo marans feather less shanks and hen without hackle ( like a strait cuckoo ).
the hens ,do have nice long body, they are short close to the ground
nice orange eyes
bad tail to high but not that bad because isn t opened wen you look t them from the back ( that marans)

But if the egg s colour is poor ( how poor is )than they aren t pure marans .they need to be able to lay a minumin of egg colour 4 to be a marans)

hope that help

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom