Cuckoo marans

I'll have to look through my photo archive or get more pictures taken. So, I'll get back to you with those. But, thanks for the confirmation on the breed.

Okay I think I found some that might be what you were talking about.

Just to see the two darker ones together. The one in the back is the one you commented on before.

Not the typical stance. Something had just caught the bird's attention and it was stretching for a better look.

And below a closer look at the lighter colored one.

If these aren't what you had in mind let me know and I'll try to get more pictures in a day or two.

Thanks again.

The hen you are looking at is a fully MATURE adult that is laying. Your chicks are babies, there's no comparing the two. The onlyreason that a female chicken would have a red comb and wattle set is if she is mature and laying. However, male chickens redden up very very very early (I've had one that started to grow and redden at week 3). It's a very telltale sign of gender. Here is a picture of a hen that is MUCH older than your babies, but not mature or laying yet. Even at several months of age, a female chicken will have a pale and undeveloped comb. In a few months, when she IS mature, she'll rapidly grow her comb and wattle in a matter of weeks. But not until she's fertile and mature.
I agree. You have roos. My hen looked just like the one in the above pic and then all of a sudden developed her comb around the time she started laying.

Yes they are marans or marans crosses.
they look to me they area good type .the one in the right photos by it self is a pullets .nice long back .tail with a nice angle .well feathered shanks.
the other 2 in the left photos with the others one is a boy the lighter one the other by the door i can t see him /her.
can you take a photos of this 2 separate close shot will be nice .

chooks man
I finally got individual pictures of the birds individually. Well, there are other birds in the background and such but...I think they show body type and typical posture. Here are all three birds again.

Each picture has a different bird in front.

Thank-you again for confirming that these are most likely Marans or Maran crosses. One you said was a pullet (third pictured?) I am still curious about your opinion of the other two.

Thanks,

Lisa

Sorry Lisa I was mistaken .
now I see them individually.
the good thing they are a silver cuckoo marans .they don t look to me like there is some thing else there.
bad thing all the 3 are cockerels.
1) he s the purest SCM double barred lighter colour, early feathering type . nice long back. well feathered shanks. broad and thick head, nice comb ( still young). pretty eyes. He s a keeper for sure. lighter colored beak.
2) great type but he s darker only one barring B ( result of crossing with a Birchen or BCM ) darcker beak .
3) look to me is a lighter one to ( I m not sure if just a light playing with me) is a cockerel too ( SORRY ) great type too. can you tell me if he s lighter like his brother in the photos 1. thank.

they are great type very hard to get this days. I like them a lot all the 3 are future breeder and they will ad type to any think they will be crossed to.

shane they are all 3 cockerels .
a pullet sister from that line will be great. worth to do some search and find if you can get hold of pullet from the same breeder.

chooks man

Sorry Lisa I was mistaken .
now I see them individually.
the good thing they are a silver cuckoo marans .they don t look to me like there is some thing else there.
bad thing all the 3 are cockerels.
1) he s the purest SCM double barred lighter colour, early feathering type . nice long back. well feathered shanks. broad and thick head, nice comb ( still young). pretty eyes. He s a keeper for sure. lighter colored beak.
2) great type but he s darker only one barring B ( result of crossing with a Birchen or BCM ) darcker beak .
3) look to me is a lighter one to ( I m not sure if just a light playing with me) is a cockerel too ( SORRY ) great type too. can you tell me if he s lighter like his brother in the photos 1. thank.

they are great type very hard to get this days. I like them a lot all the 3 are future breeder and they will ad type to any think they will be crossed to.

chooks man
The bird in picture 3 is also a darker one. I'm sure this is a newbie question but out of curiosity how much space would a breeding pair need? What works for you indoor space and outdoor space.

I may end up trying to get some pullets from Ideal hatchery. These were banded at that hatchery as being pullets but all three are evidently cockerels. But, for such nice birds it might be worth taking the risk of more cockerels/roosters.

Thanks,

Lisa

you don t need to much space for a breeding pair or trio.
here a few photos of my breeding pair system . they have a coop and the run .

I think will be nice if you can a pullet from that line like I told you before for the lighter cockerel ( photo 1 ) and start your Silver cuckoo marans line.

Thanks, that is very helpful to me.

Some ideas are starting to churn. With these being from a hatchery I can't guarantee they would be quality birds. But they seem to have a chance. Maybe I can get the local farmers co-op to place the order and accept shipment because of my work schedule....

Again thank-you very much.

Back
Top Bottom