Cuckoo marans

Chooks man recent pic of Cuckoo Blue Bar hen if I haven't sent one.
She is 7 months now. Laying for about 4 wks. Pictured here with one of my silver cuckoo Marans who was so light I thought she was a roo. Whew!!! The SCM lays egg with spots I think. Have 2 more SCM hens laying Dark Eggs! The CBB is my noisiest hen so far. Well I have a Golden Campine, Josephine, who gives her a run for her money on decibel level. She likes to be picked up and petted, insists on it loudly! GOd Bless you Chooks man. Always enjoy your posts.

Saw my own post if Cuckoo Blue Bar and Silver Cuckoo Marans. Inspected SCM and her neck is curving like a backward s ! She is sick but what with? Making on repetitive Orin's with neck and head too. Not twitching or shaking ...dadgumit ! She is beautiful and laying well darker brown eggs. Any clues?

Saw my own post if Cuckoo Blue Bar and Silver Cuckoo Marans. Inspected SCM and her neck is curving like a backward s ! She is sick but what with? Making on repetitive Orin's with neck and head too. Not twitching or shaking ...dadgumit ! She is beautiful and laying well darker brown eggs. Any clues?

your pullet is suffering from twisted head syndrome THS .it is inherited from a parent stock . they seem to twist they neck and look up ward plus they walk backward too .
THS does not kill the chooks ,most of them they go back to normal after a while .nothing you can do about it .
you can stretch her neck by pulling her head gently and massaging her neck where is a twist .

a lot breeders breed from this chooks when they are not sick , they seem to forget they where sick .

chooks man

Some of my girls had bubbly eyes after dry pox bout. I read a bit about that. I lost an EE that was sick 2 x. The 2nd time this a shaped neck thing happened. No backward walking Chooks man. You saw SCM pic before Chooks man. Now her chest sticks out so I felt and found the s neck. 1 more of the EE's has bubbly eyes now. Lost other beige EE beauty, Pearl, to this. Seems it's MG or MC whatever I read...sorry. I can't remember just now. Have isolated 4 birds now. I feel my whole flock is contaminated! Believe wild sparrows who had yard access and mosquito combination have created this situation. Even when run is roofed Mosquitos ( I am assiduous in mosquito control in our yard, but...) will enter. I am discouraged and at a loss. Losing birds after weeks of extra nurturing...do I need to cull these birds ? I believe all have been exposed by now.

Some of my girls had bubbly eyes after dry pox bout. I read a bit about that. I lost an EE that was sick 2 x. The 2nd time this a shaped neck thing happened. No backward walking Chooks man. You saw SCM pic before Chooks man. Now her chest sticks out so I felt and found the s neck. 1 more of the EE's has bubbly eyes now. Lost other beige EE beauty, Pearl, to this. Seems it's MG or MC whatever I read...sorry. I can't remember just now. Have isolated 4 birds now. I feel my whole flock is contaminated! Believe wild sparrows who had yard access and mosquito combination have created this situation. Even when run is roofed Mosquitos ( I am assiduous in mosquito control in our yard, but...) will enter. I am discouraged and at a loss. Losing birds after weeks of extra nurturing...do I need to cull these birds ? I believe all have been exposed by now.

sorry to hear about your chooks . I never had this sort of nasty ,

chooks man

I just got four Cuckoo Marans pullets to add to my small flock of six Buff Orpingtons. They have been in a separate coop and pen for a few weeks to get them used to the property and to grow up a bit before they meet the "big girls". I'm shocked by how different they are from the Orpingtons. So flighty and they speak an entirely different chicken language.

Tonight we are planning on combing the flock while they are all sleeping/resting.

The big question is: the Marans are eating All Purpose Feed while the Orpingtons are eating Layer Feed. Can the big girls eat all purpose feed for a couple of weeks while the Marans grow up enough to switch to Layer Feed? I don't want them on Layer Feed until they start laying...

Thanks!

I just got four Cuckoo Marans pullets to add to my small flock of six Buff Orpingtons. They have been in a separate coop and pen for a few weeks to get them used to the property and to grow up a bit before they meet the "big girls". I'm shocked by how different they are from the Orpingtons. So flighty and they speak an entirely different chicken language.

Tonight we are planning on combing the flock while they are all sleeping/resting.

The big question is: the Marans are eating All Purpose Feed while the Orpingtons are eating Layer Feed. Can the big girls eat all purpose feed for a couple of weeks while the Marans grow up enough to switch to Layer Feed? I don't want them on Layer Feed until they start laying...

Thanks!
Yep.

Many of us feed everyone an all purpose feed---all in one, all flock, flock raiser, etc. Or a basic grower feed. If your Orpingtons are laying, offer them egg shells or oyster shells to maintain calcium intake. Besides that, they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom