Cuckoo marans

Yep. 

Many of us feed everyone an all purpose feed---all in one, all flock, flock raiser, etc. Or a basic grower feed. If your Orpingtons are laying, offer them egg shells or oyster shells to maintain calcium intake. Besides that, they'll be fine. 

Thank you.

Removed the Layer Feed and only have the All Purpose in the big coop now. Once it was dark we moved the young girls in and put them in to roost.

I always hate this part. Worrying about if they'll be treated okay. The establishment of pecking order. I hope it goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Opinions?

Last edited:

Opinions?

sorry Moonshinner I can t comment on your pullet .you guys in the USA breed to the American standard .

I work with the French standard and it is different when come to the silver cuckoo marans

your standard breed a silver barred not a silver cuckoo .

notice the barring are well define ,neat pattern plus uniform body color no hackle .

the French standard call for the cuckoo pattern .vague pattern, more organic Not barred .plus not uniform body color and they require lighter hackle because they are barred Birchen .

Don t take me wrong you are in the USA and you have the right to breed to either standard you wish especially if you are interested of showing them .

chooks man

I have one that is 4 weeks old. I think she will be the alpha though I'm not that fond of her. She pecks the other two- a Buff Orpington and RIR- and lurches at them for no reason. She also always tries to steal their food...definitely the most aggressive of the bunch.

I have to say that after having my cuckoo Maran's for almost a year there would be a couple different chickens I would buy Instead them. They are highly aggressive chickens. I had to get rid of my boy because I got turned in by this town but he went crazy. And my one girl has attacked my husband repeatedly. She hasn't broken the skin yet but will be giving away to somebody to eat if she does.

I have a bird that looks like a cuckoo maran or a Plymouth Rock I don't know what it is but it has a green sheen on the side of its feathers and I bought it with another bird that turned out to be a Copper Maran an English Copper Maran any clues to what it might be

I have a bird that looks like a cuckoo maran or a Plymouth Rock I don't know what it is but it has a green sheen on the side of its feathers and I bought it with another bird that turned out to be a Copper Maran an English Copper Maran any clues to what it might be

Back
Top Bottom