Cuckoo marans

At what age do the Marans start laying? Mine are at 4 months now, but I guess I need to wait for spring with them. I have read that salmonella is less of a problem with the Marans eggs as they have the smallest pore size in their eggs of all the breeds. The bacteria cannot make it through them. Below is a picture of my Silver Cuckoo cockerel, he still has growing in him. We have 3 Silver Cuckoo pullets as well. [/quot Very pretty!

I've been following this thread a little so I thought I'd throw out my two cents and experience. I bought two hatchery cuckoo marans back in March of this year and, like a lot of people wanting chocolate eggs, frantically looked up pictures of what to expect. At about 22 weeks, I got our first dark eggs. They're not as dark as some, but dark enough to notice. They lighten up pretty quick, but I find them gorgeous nonetheless.
Edna Mode:

Dottie:

First egg compared to a delaware and RIR eggs:

Compared with our other eggs:

So hopefully this helps a little to those who are anxious to see some examples. Again these are hatchery cuckoo marans from privett hatchery. Sometimes you'll get darker eggs and sometimes you'll get lighter ones. That's the fun with chickens!

I've been following this thread a little so I thought I'd throw out my two cents and experience. I bought two hatchery cuckoo marans back in March of this year and, like a lot of people wanting chocolate eggs, frantically looked up pictures of what to expect. At about 22 weeks, I got our first dark eggs. They're not as dark as some, but dark enough to notice. They lighten up pretty quick, but I find them gorgeous nonetheless.
Edna Mode:

Dottie:

So hopefully this helps a little to those who are anxious to see some examples. Again these are hatchery cuckoo marans from privett hatchery. Sometimes you'll get darker eggs and sometimes you'll get lighter ones. That's the fun with chickens!
Thanks for the pics!

I have one surviving hatchery cuckoo Marans (Ideal) and am waiting to see how dark her eggs are. I look at the sales for the black copper's eggs and how rich and dark they are, and try not to get my hopes up! I have my girl in with a splash Ameraucana, so hopefully will get a decent Olive egger offspring.

Thanks for the pics!

I have one surviving hatchery cuckoo Marans (Ideal) and am waiting to see how dark her eggs are. I look at the sales for the black copper's eggs and how rich and dark they are, and try not to get my hopes up! I have my girl in with a splash Ameraucana, so hopefully will get a decent Olive egger offspring.

Anytime!
I ended up caving and got a blue copper marans (was supposed to be black but oh well) and an OE, so we'll see how that turns out! I just like egg color variety :)

Edna Mode:

Dottie:

Thank you! They are so pretty!

I have 2 cuckoo maran roosters. One is an average rooster, not super nice but not too mean to the girls either. The other I might as well name Romeo because he is a complete gentleman, he is nice to the girls and when its treat time he will point out treats for the girls and makes sure everyone gets what they want first. I think its an individual personality thing? Funny thing is, Romeo was on the cutting block list since he isn't the dominant rooster, but I think he may have saved himself with his personality.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom