Cuckoo marans

Hi everyone I just got my first ducklings & Chickens this spring. I have 3 Cuckoo Maran chickens 2 hens & 1 rooster. I love them so much! They are nice birds & my rooster is a trip!

Hi Lincityfarmette .

All your 3 cuckoos are pullets.
the one with a red spot is not pure color wise but she is a good type.
the other 2 are pure silver cuckoo pattern . I don t see feathers on they shanks.

can you post photos of you Blue barred cuckoo .i love to see them . I m working on the Blue GCM my self.

chooks man

These are the girls! Lisette is fromt right and Baptiste is back left.

Hi Sandyduckcrazy .
you have a trio of a English cuckoo marans. they look good to me from the distance.
the cockerel is double barred DF .

The English strain lay dark egg .but they have a tall feet and featherless .

I have them my self and the French type too . I like the French type one.

you have to wait and see what color eggs they will lay. maybe you will struck lucky. Good luck

chooks man

Great info TY. My husband and I had no idea about English Cuckoo Marans. So much or all the time and effort to pick out Hebrew/French names for our hens.

Could you please explain what double barred DF means?

I really want a broody chicken over egg color. I was told that the Cuckoo Maran was one of the chickens to buy! Do you find this to be factual?

I really want a broody chicken over egg color. I was told that the Cuckoo Maran was one of the chickens to buy! Do you find this to be factual?
My flock currently has eight Cuckoo Marans. While I wanted more the dark egg color than broodiness, I did purchase them the first time having read that they tended to go broody too, just in case I wanted to try hatching some. My first summer with four I didn't have any of them go broody on me. The second summer I got four more and still no broodies. However, this summer I ended up having two of them finally decide to go broody on me, but only after I had already gotten a couple of other faithfuls do the job for me when I no longer needed broodies.

Will some go broody? Perhaps... but from my experience I would no longer consider them as my first choice if I am looking for someone to hatch chicks. My Australorps have been my most faithful broodies, followed by my Austra-Whites (Australorp Male over Leghorn Female), my Barred Rocks, and I even had a White Leghorn hatch some for me which I wasn't expecting at all. And now, for the first time I have an Easter Egger that just wants to set, also at a time when I don't need her. Broodiness does seem to be contagious, though, so anything is possible.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom