Cures for the molting blues?

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
I have a 14-month-old Faverolle who is molting hard and seems to be feeling pretty lousy while doing so. She won't come out of the coop unless I bring her out and she is barely eating. I've been giving supplemental protein like BOSS, flock raiser, yogurt, scrambled eggs, meat scraps, mealworms, etc. and just bought some gamebird/show bird feed today. Everyone else loves all the protein but poor Pumpkin just takes little nibbles of mealworm and that's about it. Her crop is nearly empty when I check it and I can feel she has lost weight. She is drinking, thankfully and her eyes are bright enough; it just seems like she feels crummy and I am concerned about the not eating since we're approaching nearly a week with it. I thought chickens became even more ravenous when they molted? Has anyone else experienced molting anorexia before?

I'm not sure if I know much more than you, but I do have a barred rock going through the same thing.
Only had her for a week but is going through a hard molt and is really very skinny it worries me, same thing with the eating. She forages a little bit but not as much as the others. Gets picked on a little bit by the other barred rock so I wonder if that has to do with it too...
I'm just hoping she'll snap out of it as some of her feathers come back, I have read before that some birds who do hard molt tend to lose weight.

Many become very uncomfortable and stressed out, sounds like you are doing all you can, some of mine hide for a week or two, molting is physically hard, and the seasonal weather changes don't help any either.

My little bantie has been through two hard moults and both times has been a very unhappy little girl.

She hid in the coop both times and while the flock is not particularly fond of the wind, she was even more sensitive during the moult.

I agree that it sounds like you are doing everything you can for her but remember that picking her up or touching her can also be uncomfortable/painful for her.

I have found that while the feather regrowth and moult process can take a couple of months or more in it’s entirety, Dusty only seems to have the blues for a couple of weeks, max.

Dusty [aka dust bin
wink.png
] loves her food so I have to be honest that I did not notice a decrease.

Back
Top Bottom