Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
Thank you JulieNKC and Jen C. Any recommendations for links on Call colors & patterns? I linked to callducks.org and looked over their "posters" showing the different color/patterns.....
idunno.gif

.... I came away still confused. There seems to be quite a variation in the "real look" of these colors when you see pic's of actual ducks vs what the posters show. Tks!

Buy the book "Colour Breeding in Domestic Ducks" by Chris & Mike Ashton! It's paperback, and not a very thick book, but it is worth every penny that it costs. It explains all the different color genetics in ducks and how they work, with lots of pictures and charts to make it easy to understand. I used to think that it all must be so very complicated, but it's not, trust me!
smile.png

Anyways, this is an absolutely terrible picture (my ducks are convinced that the camera is something awful that's going to kill them
roll.png
), but if you could see them in person, you'd understand why I'm so proud of this little Chocolate Magpie drake I hatched this year.
love.gif
I'm sooo antsy to get hatching again in the spring!!!

Love the Santa pic. Your duck had to be a lot easier to handle, than the time I took my hunting dog to the pet store for a Santa pic. She was pointing parakeets and wanting to pounce at the glass for the furry creatures they had caged low to the ground.

Beautiful pics Aoxa!

Hi everyone! Not new to BYC but new to the call duck thread so thought I would introduce myself. My name is Tina and I live in upstate NY with my husband and 4 kids. We have had ducks in the past but decided to downsize to smaller ducks and start a project flock. We decided to work with magpies since they don't breed true and it would be a fun surprise to see what we get as each duckling hatches. We bought our first set of call ducks, the magpies, in June and recently purchased a trio of whites. As we head into breeding season I am sure I will have lots of questions but I hope to be able to help others as well. Here's a picture of my calls :

Back
Top Bottom