Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Pics
My baby girl just laid her first egg! I am SO PROUD! It's not fertilized and it's partially soft-shelled, but nevertheless, I am absolutely thrilled for her.
love.gif

I was about to call the vet because she'd been acting lethargic for the past couple days, but when I went out to check on her again, the egg was there! Is it normal for a call duck to be laying in December?

My baby girl just laid her first egg! I am SO PROUD! It's not fertilized and it's partially soft-shelled, but nevertheless, I am absolutely thrilled for her.
love.gif

I was about to call the vet because she'd been acting lethargic for the past couple days, but when I went out to check on her again, the egg was there! Is it normal for a call duck to be laying in December?

I have two females and two males ina pen and they have been laying every other day but they dont seem to be fertile. I have seen the boys doing there job are there any suggestions to increase my fertility? They are in a breeding pen. I have done a bit of research and some suggestions have been a bigger pool for mating and adding rabbit pellets to there feed, and bait fish to the pools. What do you guys think? Thanks SOSOO much for all input. This is my first year breeding calls and they came fromHolderread so I know they are god birds. Thanks

I kept them in the incubator until 7 days and nothing inside cracked open and they were nor fertile. Ive seen my drake doing his thing I have done some research and Ithink I need a bigger poool maybe?

I have two females and two males ina pen and they have been laying every other day but they dont seem to be fertile. I have seen the boys doing there job are there any suggestions to increase my fertility? They are in a breeding pen. I have done a bit of research and some suggestions have been a bigger pool for mating and adding rabbit pellets to there feed, and bait fish to the pools. What do you guys think? Thanks SOSOO much for all input. This is my first year breeding calls and they came fromHolderread so I know they are god birds. Thanks

That's weird. What's the type of the birds? Like how short are their beaks, heads, and body's.
If they are really small then the drakes probably aren't doing their jobs right. How old are the ducks? Some drakes quite don't get the hang of breeding till they are older.
I've have ducks for about 5+ years and I've seen it all when it comes to drakes breeding for their first time, it's quite interesting and disturbing at the same time.

I would wait till Spring and then make a decision. I see where you live and its interesting because I live in Illinois and mine aren't even laying yet! Are you sure they aren't frozen when you go out to pick the eggs up? That will kill the embryo right away and that could be your reason why none of them are developing.

I have some that have been frozen and I dont bother withthose but as of right now I have four developing nicely out of about 16 eggs. i have been going to the coop several times a day to get the eggs but unless i am right there when they lay I am sure some are getting cold enough to kill the embryo even if they don't freeze. They are last springs ducklings so they probably are practicing more than accomplishing the deed. thanks for the imput. I hope they like this in the spring!!! I worry they might not. I didn't expect them too start laying real early i think especially for as cold as it is out and the shorter days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom