Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

Hehe yep. I swear, every time I look at Bean her pattern changes. She's growing more caramel on one side and a few chocolate feathers on the other. She's such a strange little duck!

I really would love to know what her true color is. She just looks so unique, but I know deep down she probably falls under an existing category of some sort. I'd just really love to make a line of calico ducks and I think I can do it with her!
she is amazing. I am no veteran with ducks but I have never seen with her colors. Will be exciting to see some Wobbeans.

I know, right?? What a cool new color that could be!

After some digging I found this thread here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/629394/magpie-call-ducks

Apparently, it's a rare quirk of genetics when you get a blue pied that's heterozygous for black (oddly enough that's also how you create copper betta fish, another animal I used to breed), but she says that the color isn't stable and won't breed true. But I'd like to give it the ol' college try and see if I can! Maybe if I can find a drake that's another wonky blue/black hetero, I can see what their babies will make. Since it's such an unusual color break, maybe she had no luck because there just wasn't another similarly colored hen to breed to.

I think adding a chocolate, or finding another rare mutant blue, could result in s'more ducks. Or it could be a waste of time. But either way, I get babies!

Ahhh, your little Bean is so cute. eDe <3
I had a duck that looked so much like her. She was so cool; I had her long enough for her juvenile feather suit to come in completely, and from what i could tell she seemed to be caught somewhere between blue and khaki. xD

I know, right?? What a cool new color that could be!

After some digging I found this thread here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/629394/magpie-call-ducks

Apparently, it's a rare quirk of genetics when you get a blue pied that's heterozygous for black (oddly enough that's also how you create copper betta fish, another animal I used to breed), but she says that the color isn't stable and won't breed true. But I'd like to give it the ol' college try and see if I can! Maybe if I can find a drake that's another wonky blue/black hetero, I can see what their babies will make. Since it's such an unusual color break, maybe she had no luck because there just wasn't another similarly colored hen to breed to. 

I think adding a chocolate, or finding another rare mutant blue, could result in s'more ducks. Or it could be a waste of time. But either way, I get babies!

I didn't realize we posted about the same thing! I posted in the House Duck forum! Haha

Last edited:
I didn't realize we posted about the same thing! I posted in the House Duck forum! Haha

Great minds think alike, eh? :p I'm still super pumped to try and hunt down a similar genetic anomaly to breed Bean to someday! Probably not within the next few years, but hopefully some point within her breeding career I can find one ans ultimately see what pops out. It would be so cool to be able to stabilize such an odd and rare genetic color quirk!

Here's my first entry for the Poultry Calendar:

Which of these three should be my second?

So...I have a baby call (by baby I mean 5 1/2 weeks) whos head is turning green and its feet are turning yellow. I know that the green plumage on the head normal means that it's a drake...but it is a black bibbed call. I've never seen anything like it. Should I still assume that it's a drake?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom