Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

they are the same age then as mine are (mine were hatched in March) They should be full-size then. They should be under 3 lbs or Over 4 lbs.
wink.png

Not quite sure how much they weigh, but it's probably more than 3 pounds. I think they're bigger than that. I can't catch them to find out, they're still really afraid of people.

Some more pics:

This is the best I could get for scale. The cup they're eating from is one of the square Ziploc reusable containers. They're approximately 5.5"x5.5"x2.5".

You can see the color difference here pretty well. They're both pretty much the same size.

Another shot of the color difference. Also, notice Peek's tailfeathers don't have as many markings. They're completely clear on that one side.

Peek from the side.

Another of Peek from the side. Plus Poke's butt. You can see the tailfeather differences in this one, too.

OK, if your on the bigger side, I would guess Poke is a Rouen the other bit of proof would be if her flight is limited to about 3-4ft high 10-15ft long she's a Rouen. If she can fly to the next county, she's a Mallard
big_smile.png
So if she is a Rouen, I would say Peek looks a lot like a WH except for the eye stripe. I only have a WH, but she has no stripe and the photo Miss Lydia used also has no stripe so I would guess Peek isn't a pure WH, but is a mix of either a WH or a Buff Duck(see pic below) with A Mallard or Rouen. But just to throw a monkey wrench in that theory, WHs were selectively bred from Khaki Campbells who do have an eye stripe, so she could be a WH with a throwback eye stripe
barnie.gif

"Orpington Duck 2014-10-20 001" by Tracie Hall

So now that you are completely confused (well I am anyway), the best part is they are all of Mallard decent so all that really matters is she is beautiful
love.gif

OK, if your on the bigger side, I would guess Poke is a Rouen the other bit of proof would be if her flight is limited to about 3-4ft high 10-15ft long she's a Rouen. If she can fly to the next county, she's a Mallard
big_smile.png
So if she is a Rouen, I would say Peek looks a lot like a WH except for the eye stripe. I only have a WH, but she has no stripe and the photo Miss Lydia used also has no stripe so I would guess Peek isn't a pure WH, but is a mix of either a WH or a Buff Duck(see pic below) with A Mallard or Rouen. But just to throw a monkey wrench in that theory, WHs were selectively bred from Khaki Campbells who do have an eye stripe, so she could be a WH with a throwback eye stripe
barnie.gif

"Orpington Duck 2014-10-20 001" by Tracie Hall

So now that you are completely confused (well I am anyway), the best part is they are all of Mallard decent so all that really matters is she is beautiful
love.gif
And I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in there and wonder if she could have some Saxony in the mix?

Sx_Oct2806_N69.jpg
Just had to haha. she has an eye stripe

Luckily we have turtles but no snapping! Been here about a year and half with good luck. Still can never be too careful. We keep a very close eye on all our babies. Also luckily, most creatures can get through the fence. Had to help a turtle not long ago. He couldn't get anywhere and was just walking the fence line in the horse pasture. Lol!
2764.png
I can understand why. Just watch out for those snapping turtles they can wreck havoc on water fowl

Luckily we have turtles but no snapping! Been here about a year and half with good luck. Still can never be too careful. We keep a very close eye on all our babies. Also luckily, most creatures can get through the fence. Had to help a turtle not long ago. He couldn't get anywhere and was just walking the fence line in the horse pasture. Lol!
2764.png
That's sweet, I love turtles just not real fond of snappers. I need a bumper sticker that says I stop for turtles
smile.png

love.gif

Definitely confused, but still happy with my little duckies. Thanks!

We'll definitely be able to see the size difference when the Muscovies come (and are big enough to be outside)!

Back
Top Bottom