Dark Egg Breeds Thread

ok....use crayon please? SWACK?
lol.png

Big kiss on the cheek!!!
hugs.gif
and a hug with it... I am in agreement with your prior post.

Quote:
If you want a dark egg layer don't get a Barnevelder. Otherwise, my Barnies tend to be a little more flighty than my other breeds but not overly so. Just in comparison. They are very friendly to each other. The roos are very tolerant of each other and the group as a whole accept juveniles into the group very well. I have had them for 3 years and have never had a broody one. They lay very well in the Spring, early summer but tapers off quickly and do lay in the winter but very sporadically. In comparison to the Marans, the Marans love being outside in the weather (they love the rain) and venture far and wide when let out to free range. The Barnies seem to run into their house with the first drop of rain and when let out to free range rarely venture far from their coop and run. Those are just a few things I can think of. As far as numbers of eggs it's pretty close to my Marans. My Marans however are better winter layers. All this can vary within different lines in both the Marans and Barnevelder. Don't get Barnie chicks from Ideal poultry. They do not have pure Barnies. They are obviously crossed with Wellsummers.

Quote:
Really? My Marans are in their first year laying and they both quit laying completely over a month ago. I have 1 wellie molting and the other wellie girl is still giving me an egg every other day.

I have both and love both breeds. But for mine so far my Wellies are better layers. I was averaging 6 eggs per Welsummer a week, 4-5 a week for my Marans.

Marans - Great egg color, it's just so pretty. Nice birds, great disposition.

Welsummers - Pretty eggs, just not as dark as Marans. But you can get nice speckled eggs with Welsummers. Birds are friendly, but not cuddly - they are more independent. They do not like being held, but then neither do my Marans. My rooster is fantastic in temperament and a great protector of the hens.

I'm so excite, I'm getting back a rooster I gave away over 1.5 years ago! We have his sisters! Cuckoo Marans with the dark eggs! They never had a mate becase I never saw anybody worthy enough.

Hey I have the recipe here for Golden cuckoos.. (I think..) the baby isn't big enough yet but my hen is a good dark layer of a very large egg...She is cuckoo from Davis/Cratty (by Gherke) cross The Golden Salmon...Is mine from my Gherke birdies by a Littlepeddler roo so the cross should be good....I thought I might take a whirl on this now that goldens are making a comeback..I had them two years ago and no one seemed interested.

I love the Golden Cuckoos. I'm just so happy to be getting this guy back. I have photos to find later. Its amazing he is alive and well as are both of his girls.

cant wait to see him!!! I have access to some down here... but it will be more fun to make em.

Back
Top Bottom