Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Now you are sliding over to the dark side... I am getting my shades...
cool.png

Quote:
NO WAY! I will NOT bring a rooster in the house!
tongue.png

Hmmmm, I have a garage though .....
lau.gif

It doesn't take much light brightness wise even the roo doing a partial moult has good eggs.....from my Christmas lights no less bought a 9.99 dusk timer set it to go off at 10.30pm and they're led ones

Just going to toss out a little rooster fertility fact for all that do not know, roosters have a gland in/or near their eye that like the same gland in a pullet that needs 12-15 hours of daylight to tell her to lay an egg..... it is said that roosters need 12-15 hours of daylight to assist in fertility.
smile.png

eta: light that stimulates hormone release is not the only thing that contribute to infertility in roosters. Edited for a little more clarity other than just stating that this is the only thing that makes them fertile. Also edited for time reference.
tongue.png

Illia~ Congrats on the egg!

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png
Could they find the hen?? Sorry...
hide.gif

lol.png

Jan~ all I know is that when reading tons and tons of stuff, I read about infertility in roosters and it was suggested that the pineal gland can be triggered to release hormones by the use of light. Circadian rhythms...include, daily egg laying, crowing, heart rate and more. These daily functions are thought to be controlled by the daily cycle in hormones, such as melatonin, the suprachiasmatic nucleus, pineal gland and eye in the chicken. It's an internal clock type thing and proposed that it can be brought on by light and dark cycles.
If I'm off base......someone will set me straight, I'm sure.
smile.png

Quote:
Dear Lord,

When does anyone find that much time? I've got two chicken books laying beside my bed for 4 weeks now AND still haven't had time to open them up . . . ..
hide.gif

Oh by the way, I got to run - - - -

Christmas shopping and all that stuff still to get done. The kids only have 2 1/2 school days left
sad.png
I've got to get a move on. Got to buy, wrap and hide. Those little ones are so curious that I am gonna have to see if the neighbor will let me lease some garage space for a week or so.

My one neighbor has the cleanest garage I have ever seen! I think you could eat off the floor.
My own garage is BUSTING at the seams!
lau.gif
lau.gif
My garage is so full of junk that there are days when you can not even see the floor! Right now - - - all the tropical plants are in there. Orchids don't really like 17 F weather!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Dear Lord,

When does anyone find that much time? I've got two chicken books laying beside my bed for 4 weeks now AND still haven't had time to open them up . . . ..
hide.gif

while riding in the car.......when a person can't sleep......when it is too nasty to go outside (except to do chores), there's always a nice rainy day here in the PNW that makes it very discouraging to go outside......sitting next to DH whilst he watches a movie that is not of my taste (sci-fi's).
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom