Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
I'd keep that girl in a heartbeat. I know the standard calls for lightly feathered feet, but I LOVE
love.gif
to see the fluff on the feet. It just adds a grace to them IMO . . .

She Beautiful chicken wild. . .
pop.gif
Do you have more marans to go with her
pop.gif

On the subject of feet.....I have a couple of chicks that have heavily feathered feet. They are feathered where they are supposed to be, just really thick. Will it change as they grow or should they be culled?

Let's see em... they are to have only feathers to the outside toe... this is considered sparse... Brahmas are a medium/moderately feathered... Cochin and D'uccles are heavily feathered.

They may appear heavy as chickies but are likely to get what they need later on... I do have one that is too heavily feathered... She has long outside feathers with some on the second toe... She is to be mated with a clean legged bird.

Last edited:
Quote:
Good to hear Geebs.
thumbsup.gif

A bird I once posted received a comment about not being "lightly feathered". I know at that time I asked what exactly how "lightly feathered" is measured and did not receive any responses . .. . .

I thought I responded to that one... Hmmm...maybe I hit back instead of post... I am known to do that... The bird in the picture is a great example of what we are looking for in feathering... space on the shank and feathers only to the outside toe... I have a nearly perfect bird (in my mind) and her only flaw is a tiny piece of fluff on one toe of the left foot.... I pulled it because I was told that was okay.. it didn't grow back... I will watch her offspring and make sure they aren't passing this on to a greater degree... Even so.. she is a great bird.

Quote:
Uh huh.........right..................you get Stephanie on the phone, you won't be tellin her to lay eggs, you'll be givin her directions to your house!

lau.gif

Who me? http://bestsmileys.com/innocent/1.gif

Yes.... YOU!!!!!!!!!!
wink.png
lau.gif
but when explaining to her how to get to your house just remember she must go by memory as she hasn't learned how to take notes yet.
gig.gif

Quote:
Yes sir!!!!!! Always have dark eggs in the 'bator this time of year. I don't care for hatching in the summer (too many other things to do) but I've try to do atleast 2 hatches around May for new late fall layers so that I always have birds that are laying. If I don't have any eating eggs to sell I can't keep my birds, that was the agreement between DH and myself, they must work for their feed.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom