Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Quote:
Yes, thanks for the explanation. i didn't know splash chicks could out out with such color differences!

Well, I guess we are done hatching. (We meaning mama!) One egg just didn't go, and the other looks like a turtle egg. See below. Can anyone tell me what happenedwith that one?? I guess 5/7 is good for shipped eggs, right?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_img-20110206-003051.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65263_img-20110206-003061.jpg

dl~

Your Welcome.
smile.png

I don't know what to say about your egg. Is the shell missing and it's just the membrane or did it just turn white? I can't really make it out clearly on my monitor.

Okay, you guys finally succeeded, I got dark eggs in the mail yesterday and set them this morning.
I know, it's only six, but they should be Blue Marans, and such nice pretty eggs. The green ones are Olive Eggers.
48840_daves_eggs_no_flash.jpg

I've come over to the dark side, where's my cookies?
big_smile.png

Cheryl, sorry to hear about your migraine (I'm a migraine girl, too, bummer for us!). Probably stress from your dad in the hospital, you know?
Don't you have a couple of Speckled Sussex pullets you'd like to sell me? That will make you feel better...
lol.png

Here are my Splash Marans babies at one week. So cute! Bet yours will be gorgeous, too!
65263_p2120016.jpg

Posted this on the marans thread, but thought you guys might have some ideas on this as well......

Here are the day old WHEATEN MARANS babies so far, and it looks like one last one just pipped. So hopefully I'll have a total of 12

I have a big question, this came up on my last hatch too.

3 of the chicks have light striping and marks on head, the other 8 are perfect blonds. Does anyone have experience with this? I know how to feather sex as they grow but I wonder if these early markings are indicative of something. These will be apart of my breeding stock...first time I've ever hatched hoping I get 3 roos!

I'm going to keep good records on these, I've banded them all.

I've been told by a few breeders that Wheatens will hatch in slightly different colors with markings... seems a bit odd if we are trying to work towards a predictable hatching breed.

Anyone have any ideas?

41441_wm_stripes_1.jpg

41441_wm_blonds_day_old.jpg

Back
Top Bottom