Dark Red Rooster with White Tail Feathers?

We hatched some of our red sex link hen eggs crossed with a RIR roo and after some research I found out that some (it looks like a little roo) will be dark red with white wing tips and a white tail. I would love to see a picture because I have a 3 week old chick and want to see what he will look like!

Quote:
You have red sex links, also called red stars. This post probably goes into more detail than you care to learn, but I found it very helpful when first trying to figure out what makes a sex link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

In
short, there are lots of different combinations as you see below. (and that's just the red sex links, what you have.)
13371_sexlinkedredr.jpg

Oh, wow! There are so many possibilities as to what they are crossed with. Unfortunately, the girls had their beaks trimmed, but they seem to do fine in the eating department. Is there anything special I need to know about the care and feeding of hens who have had their beaks trimmed? I wish they hadn't been, but they are incredibly beautiful to us anyway.

Rooster Ridge your avatar pic looks a lot like my rooster. Beautiful! Does anyone know if a mixed or sex-link rooster is typically fertile?

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I will try to get a pic of our boy Jack up in the next couple days. I need to get batteries in the camera.

Quote:
Hen feathered means that the rooster doesn't have the long, pointy saddle and tail feathers that roosters usually have, but has rounded feathers like a hen. Here's a pic of him; I call him Big Daddy.
lol.png

53351_bigdaddy1.jpg

I don't know his exact background; we got him from a man in Franklin County who has various kinds of chickens free ranging on his farm. I've always figured he was a sexlink cross going by his color though.

WOW Big Daddy is quite the beautiful rooster! I see what you mean about his feathers. Jack is feathered like that right now, also. I don't know if it is just because he is young... Jack has much darker red, but our hens have similar coloring to your rooster. All of them came from a man in Franklin as well, who was selling them at Happy's.

Rhode Island Reds never have any white, it is a major gig. So, in spite of what you were told, he isn't a RIR. He's likely a mix.

Red Sex links are typically made by using a Red rooster over a silver(white) hen. There are more than few combinations of breeds that meet the requirements of genetics to make the chicks sex by color at hatch. A buff colored chick being the pullet (inheriting the red from the roo parent) and the males being white (inheriting the silver(white) from the hen parent.

Fred's Hens :

Rhode Island Reds never have any white, it is a major gig. So, in spite of what you were told, he isn't a RIR. He's likely a mix.

Red Sex links are typically made by using a Red rooster over a silver(white) hen. There are more than few combinations of breeds that meet the requirements of genetics to make the chicks sex by color at hatch. A buff colored chick being the pullet (inheriting the red from the roo parent) and the males being white (inheriting the silver(white) from the hen parent.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if red sex-link males differ from in shade or color from the red sex link females?​

Back
Top Bottom