Day 21 humidity low

ntsorvas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 5, 2012
Well I'm on day 21 and I couldn't get the humidity over 40% for some reason. I was trying the dry method and added water on day 18. What can I expect, no pipping yet and only 1 egg rocking, all the ones in the bator are definitely developed but what do I do to keep them from dying now?

Is there a hole in the incubator (or plug) where you can take a spray bottle of water and spray water in. If it is a small incubator, you might could even try putting a straw through a hole to the water tray to add more water. You definitely do not want to open the incubator.

For some ideas on how to control the humidity of future hatches, what kind of incubator are you using?

I'm using a Farm Innovator 2100, I added more water thru the hole with a syringe I have, but it hasn't gone up much

Would extracting the chicks by pealing away at the shell be an option, I don't want them to die

Your hygrometer is probably off... humidity will naturally rise as the chicks begin to hatch.. wet chicks = high humidity
so long as there isn't a fan blowing directly on them then they should hatch just fine (assuming the humidity has been correct during incubation).. IF they start getting stuck in the shells you can assist.. but assisting too early will only cause problems (broken blood vessels and un-absorbed yolk).. so it's best to wait until it's absolutely necessary

also... don't plug vent holes.. they are there to help with fresh air exchange. (fresh air helps prevent carbon dioxide poisoning). For large hatches or for things like goose or emu eggs it's best to make sure there is plenty of fresh air exchange going on..
as the chicks grow in the shell they need more oxygen than a newly set egg.. not enough oxygen = dead chicks

Just think of it this way.. when a hen hatches out her chicks she doesn't run over and dunk her behind in a dish of water to make the humidity rise..
So relax and just observe.. no need to rush in unless there is a serious problem.

Thanks for the info, I hope they are ok, I have 2 hygrometers in the bator and both read the same. I did the dry method by the way

Last edited:
No dips in temp been stable around 99.5 to 102 since day 1, I did a little water but let it dry in the first few days to do the dry method.

I candled on day 18 and I could see my americaunas moving around, my wyandottes are hard to see thru but i could see dark masses inside but not well, eggs too dark

Back
Top Bottom