Day 26

Chnellie

In the Brooder
May 12, 2023
I am at day 25, I have small chicken eggs, not sure what you call them in English. White and black spoted small chickens. So I had both in there and the first small egg hatched at day 19. Day 20, 4 normal chicken eggs hatched and at day 21 the last 4 hatched. After candling I still have 2 small eggs in the incubator. Inexperienced me; On day 23 I thought they would not come out again and broke open 1 that had not fully developed but was still alive. I killed it by opening it as they have not yet absorbed the yolk completely. So I left the last 2 in there and now on day 25 and this morning both have pipped and peeping only the shell and not the membrane was pipped. This afternoon no progress so I helped slightly as the I knew from opening the others that the shell and membrane was very hard en tough with these eggs. When it was half way open, he was still weak and the peeping lesened. He did not make any energy to come out by himself. So I put him back into the incubator and tomorrow is day 26 and I am not sure what I will find. The other one that pipped I left just like that...not sure if he will survive...or even the other one?

They still have a chance. They may have been in a cooler spot of the incubator so have taken longer to develop. Do you have a known to be correct thermometer in the incubato?
After external pip it can be 24hours+ before they zip and hatch. Have you got the humidity high? 65% at least?

They still have a chance. They may have been in a cooler spot of the incubator so have taken longer to develop. Do you have a known to be correct thermometer in the incubato?
After external pip it can be 24hours+ before they zip and hatch. Have you got the humidity high? 65% at least?
Yes my humidity is mostly 70 plus. My temp is just under 38 celsius and more constant than my humidity.

I'm hoping that when I get there the one I helped is still alive as he almost had no energy and the other one that pipped, also just the shell has developed. The first one I helped died and it broke my newby heart to pieces.

Unfortunately sometimes they just don’t make it nor have the ability to hatch. We were all new once and we learn from our mistakes so try not to worry about it too much and focus on the hatched chicks that you do have :hugs

Help! She is alive but she keeps her neck under her wing and cant seem to fully keep her head up..actually at all. The other one hatched as well just now and the neck seems to have the same issue. Although she still new to being out of the shell.
Unfortunately sometimes they just don’t make it nor have the ability to hatch. We were all new once and we learn from our mistakes so try not to worry about it too much and focus on the hatched chicks that you do have

Will this improve? Do I leave her in the incubator?

Attachments

• 1683963993440862550391.jpg
    1683963993440862550391.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 9
If dry ok to be in the brooder if wet I would leave in incubator until dry.

They may just need time to adjust so I would let them rest for now as they don’t need food and water yet as they should be living off the yolk sac they absorbed.

Are you able to gently stretch the neck out?

If it’s a true deformity that they can’t overcome you may need to consider culling them.

Back
Top Bottom