De-worming chickens.

***Advice/ Help Needed*** This may have already been answered, but I honestly just can't read through 14 pages of comments. :) I have five chickens & we noticed this morning that one of them has long white stringy worms in her poop so I'm assuming these are roundworms & that they all have it. What is the best & most effective de-wormer to use & also what is the best & most effective way to prevent them in the future? I would prefer something I can purchase at our local TSC or somewhere similar. I have read about the Wazine & I am leaning toward that since it can be mixed in their water instead of given orally one by one. Thank you!

Have you done a thread search for pics of round worms in chicken feces? You might want to do that. How long are they? Do they look like white pieces of angel hair pasta, pointed on both ends? OR are they much finer? Sometimes urates can be very fine, easily broken up, and stringy in appearance, while round worms are thicker, and tough. After you do that thread search, you might want to do a thread search regarding methods for worming. I've never had to deal with worms in my birds. If I did, I think I might try natural methods, like Basic H soap in the water, garlic, oregano, and pumpkin seeds before resorting to a wormer. There's a new (which is not really new, but a revisit of the old tried and true from past generations) school of thought that suggests that a mild parasite load is normal, and often it's only the birds that are immune compromised that have a heavy parasite load. Remove those weaker birds, and the remaining flock is better equipped to resist a worm load.

Last edited:
I've read through this entire thread and didn't see the answer to this question:

Do the worms stay in the intestinal tract or eventually come out in the feces? I've had my flock for 4 years now and have never seen a single worm. But I don't want to assume they don't have them. We are raising an organic flock, so we tend to stick with natural remedies - cayenne, garlic, etc. But I also want my flock to be healthy.

We also raise and process meat birds every year and have never seen worms in the intestinal track of these birds. While they don't free range with our layers, they are kept next to them, separated only by a fence. Perhaps they don't live long enough to get worms.

Our turkeys DO free range with our layers (I know, I know, they should be kept separate) and we've never seen worms in their intestinal tracts either.

All our birds are treated with cayenne and garlic. Do they have worms and we just don't see them? Are there worms that are really small and can't be seen by the naked eye? Should I worm without cause? Is it better to worm in the winter as opposed to the summer?

IMO, why would you want to treat a problem that is not really a problem? You've not seen any worms in birds you've processed. Round worms are very visible. They'd be seen in the intestines. Sometimes they migrate outside of the intestines. A heavily loaded animal will occasionally expel mature worms in the feces. Many animal scientists are coming back to the old school of thought (that really is not so very old) that a certain level of parasite load is acceptable. A number of flock keepers, myself included, would cull a bird from the flock if it had a heavy parasite load.

IMO, why would you want to treat a problem that is not really a problem? You've not seen any worms in birds you've processed. Round worms are very visible. They'd be seen in the intestines. Sometimes they migrate outside of the intestines. A heavily loaded animal will occasionally expel mature worms in the feces. Many animal scientists are coming back to the old school of thought (that really is not so very old) that a certain level of parasite load is acceptable. A number of flock keepers, myself included, would cull a bird from the flock if it had a heavy parasite load.
It was recommended to me that I deworm my flock because I've lost two birds from the same hatch from suspected internal laying / egg peritonitis. Both had the same symptoms, behavior, etc. They died five months apart.

I bought durvet strike 111 dewormer,{Hygromycin B} the package says nothing about not eating the eggs, One little scoop per pound of feed. I dont know how long to continue to put in the laycrumbles.

I bought durvet strike 111 dewormer,{Hygromycin B} the package says nothing about not eating the eggs, One little scoop per pound of feed. I dont know how long to continue to put in the laycrumbles.
I do believe that product is meant to be used continuously...like forever....it's not a 'treatment' per se where a dose is given for a certain duration then you're done.
There is no withdrawal for it, per FARAD, but do you know that it is actually an antibiotic?

Yes I researched the brand don't think I will treat my chicken feed forever.I think less is best if everything is going well.$20.00 not wellspent I think.

Glenda Heywood Cassville, Missouri
I just learned that you can't wormer any laying hens with WAZINE17 WORMER IN USA
because then you can never use the eggs to eat.
Have any of you seen that yet?

Warning

Do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens and 21 days for swine.

Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption.

Restricted Drug - use only as directed
This is the warning given today 1-16-2017

COPLETE ARTICLE
Wazine-17

This page contains information on Wazine-17 for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
  • Wazine-17 Indications
  • Warnings and cautions for Wazine-17
  • Direction and dosage information for Wazine-17
Wazine-17

This treatment applies to the following species:
Manufacturer: Fleming
Turkey, Chicken and Swine Wormer
FDA Approved NADA 10-005

For use in drinking water for the removal of large roundworms (Ascaridia spp.) from turkeys, chickens and large roundworms (Ascaris suum) and nodular worms (Oesophagostomum spp.) from swine.
ACTIVE DRUG INGREDIENT: Each 100 mL contains 17 grams Piperazine Base (present as sulfate).
INERT INGREDIENTS: Water, color, flavoring, preservatives and stabilizer.
Wazine-17 Caution

Keep Out Of Reach Of Children. For Animal Use Only. Do not give to sick, feverish, underweight or physically weak birds or animals. Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment and control of parasitism.
Store above 32°F (0°C)
Directions

One-half pint (8 fluid ounces) of provides 1 treatment for:

400 turkeys up to 12 weeks of age

32 25-lb. (11.4 kg) pigs

200 turkeys over 12 weeks of age

16 50-lb. (22.7 kg) pigs

800 chickens 4-6 weeks of age

8 100-lb. (45.5 kg) pigs

400 over 6 weeks of age

4 200-lb. (90.9 kg) pigs​
One pint (16 fluid ounces) of provides 1 treatment for:

800 turkeys up to 12 weeks of age

64 25-lb. (11.4 kg) pigs

400 turkeys over 12 weeks of age

32 50-lb. (22.7 kg) pigs

1600 chickens 4-6 weeks of age

16 100-lb. (45.5 kg) pigs

800 over 6 weeks of age

8 200-lb. (90.9 kg) pigs​
For best results, remove water in the evening (except during hot weather). Then, early the next morning, begin water medicated with Wazine-17. Provide medicated water only, distributed in waterers sufficient in number so that all birds or animals have access to water. The medicated water should be consumed in 1 day or less. Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle.
TURKEYS - Under 12 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.
Over 12 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 4 fluid ounces (120 ml) of Wazine-17 in 4 U.S. gallons (15 liters) of drinking water.
Worm turkeys at 4-6 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed.
CHICKENS - 4 to 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 in 1 U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water.
Over 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.
Treat broilers at 4 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed. Treat replacement pullets at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age.
SWINE - For each 100 pounds (45.5 kilograms) of herd weight: give 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 per U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water. Treat sows and gilts breeding and up to 2 weeks before farrowing, treat boars at any time, and treat pigs 1 week after weaning and every 30 days thereafter.
Warning

Do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkeys and chickens and 21 days for swine. Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption.
Restricted Drug - use only as directed
Manufactured by FLEMING LABORATORIES, INC., Charlotte, NC 28234 USA

NET CONTENTS:

NDC

FLEMING CODE NO.

8 FL. OZ. (1/2 U.S. PT.)

15565-360-12

PL-3-80ZB-010906

16 FL. OZ. (1 U.S. PT.)

15565-360-10

PL-3-160ZB-010906​
NAC No.: 10120022
FLEMING LABORATORIES, INC.
P.O. BOX 34384, CHARLOTTE, NC, 28234

Telephone: 704-372-5613
Fax: 704-343-9357
Email: [email protected]
usa_flag.gif
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Wazine-17 information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.

Back
Top Bottom