De-worming chickens.

Quote:
Yeah, bad advice is everywhere.
roll.png

Regarding financial motives... that is just silly.
roll.png
We all give advice based on our own experiences. I trust a lot of the folks here over a vet most times.

I used to think that chicks did not need worming- until I had an 11 week old chick poo round worms right in front of me. And he came from a pen with chickens that were regularly wormed.

Quote:
Since you have never wormed start with wazine in the water then 10 days later follow with a second wormer I used safeguard paste last year a pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken. I don't know about ducks you will have to do some research on those. I think the ducklings are to young. Then set up a worming schedule that works in your area. I know some that worm once a year some worm every 3 months. Since it freezes here I only worm once a year. good luck Also after each wormer give some yogurt mixed with cat food a couple of days after each worming.

To the op I would go with a 14 day withdraw of eggs.

I researched safeguard and it says it's for horses and dogs, not chickens. I cleaned out the coop this morning and had several piles of "normal poop" and then a very runny, yucky looking reddish colored mass of poop. Literally looked like mushed up tiny earthworms, but not alive. Then, while I was cleaning THAT up, one of the rhode island reds shot poop out and it was liquidy, not solid, but since they pee/poop from the same hole, I'm not sure what to think now, lol! I may just go with the wormer from tractor supply and throw the eggs away for 30 days or give them to my neighbors for their dogs coats. I'm sooooo confused on what to use!

I've had chickens for about a year and a half now. We currently have 36 (full size, no bantums). I've never noticed worms until today. I saw one worm in a solid poop on the roost and a few long ones in a runny small poop outside on the porsch. They look exactly like Ascaridia galli. I've looked up several threads regarding de-worming. I've never had mine on a regular de-worming schedule before (actually, I've never de-wormed). Some have said that it's not needed until you see the worms and then the chickens should ONLY be treated once.

From the hand-full of websites/threads I've read I should either do a dose of Valbazen with a follow up second dose 10 days later (eat no eggs for 24 days) OR do a dose of Wazine with a follow up dose of Safeguard paste 10 days later (eat no eggs for 14 days).

I'm a bit confused on what to do.

Also, we're planning on culling about 15 birds this Saturday. Should I treat for worms and wait to cull? Or can we just eat (possibly) wormy birds?

P.S. All the birds are of varying age. From 3 months to 1.5 years. My egg production had fallen considerably. Could it be due to worms? Some of the older birds are molting too.....

IDK if it's available up there, but I just picked up a 4% Panacur for chickens and pigs that specifically states no withdrawal period for either eggs or meat. I dislike that it's a mix in the feed dewormer, but it's all I can get here and fenbendazole is one of the safest dewormers out there AFAIK.

I can't actually find any info on my specific product, so it may be one of those things you can only get in the third world.

I took pictures of it though.

392604_10150343789382595_689087594_8658974_493635464_n.jpg

314514_10150343789612595_689087594_8658975_498132825_n.jpg

If you can't read spanish, it says that one envelope treats 100 chickens and you should feed it 4 days in a row.

Quote:
Just go to Flockwatcher's post #22 in this thread and follow the directions for administering valbazen. It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and kills all types of worms that chickens can get. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or you can call them.

Quote:
Thanks CheekyMare. We have panacur here as well, havnt seen it in powder form though. It's a very good wormer and kills most worms. I've used it in the liquid and paste form as safeguard (fenbendazole.)

Last edited:
Correction on that, it says: To treat 100 chickens, mix 2 envelopes in feed and to do that for 4 days. I really don't know why they phrased it that way. So many people here can barely read as it is.
hmm.png

The guy I bought it from at the feed store told me one envelope was to be put into 4 days worth of food for 100 chickens. How many people has he told that to?

Quote:
Just go to Flockwatcher's post #22 in this thread and follow the directions for administering valbazen. It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and kills all types of worms that chickens can get. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or you can call them.

OK, I read that before I posted and was just gonna go with the valbazen. Thanks for pointing me in a direction
smile.png

Should I wait until after the culling to bother with treatment? Can we eat the chicken with them possibly being wormy??

Sorry for so many questions.... I'm so ready to get rid of these young roos. They are too big for my little hens and they're ripping feathers out left and right..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom