December Hatch-A-Long 2014

Sorry for all your troubles getting your shipped eggs. I hope you all get your eggs nice and warm and you get to set them before long!

I am such a happy camper right now. I just picked up my eggs and I cannot wait to get started. The guy had chickens, cows, goats and even an emu! My kids are under the weather today so I kept them home from school to rest but I had to pick up my eggs so they had to come with.
They were so giddy seeing all the animals this guy had!

I looked around to see what breeds the guy had around and I was a bit bummed to not see any silver laced Wyandottes from the ones that I had seen, not saying he didn't have any but I didn't see any, I did see a glw though. So I have a feeling i may not get my slw hen that I really wanted. But nonetheless I am sure we will get a variety. I have no idea what's in these eggs for sure, 3 he said were buff orpington and that's 1 breed I don't have but the other 9 are a toss up. If anyone has any guesses id love to hear them. He appeared to have barred rock, brahmas, easter eggers, orpington and I think Dominiques.

They are now big end up and resting since I do not have the incubator yet. I love my neighbor and she's had a busy past 2 weeks as she just found out her 7 yr old has type 2 diabetes so I forgive her but she forgot to get the incubator from her boyfriend on wednesday. Last night she msgd me to tell me that and she said she'd get it this weekend, I wrote back you know I'm getting the eggs tomorrow right! And she wrote back that she forgot. So anyway, she's supposed to be getting it today so I guess the eggs will just rest for 24 hrs so I can get the incubator figured out.

I am so excited and can't wait! Not really knowing what's in the eggs is even more exciting. I hope I can guess what they are as they hatch. And on a good note most of the eggs are very light colored so they should be easier to candle. The buff orpington may be a challenge!

Anyway, good luck to everyone, I'm so excited to hear about everyone's hatches and so excited to be doing my very first hatch!

good luck with getting your eggs set! I'm still fighting with my incubators lol one won't hold humidity and one won't hold temp. of course they were both fine BEFORE i set eggs lol
Ughhh hate when that happens... oh wait I don't know what that's like yet but I have a feeling I will know shortly. Good luck.

Ok I'm beginning to think the guy isn't really sure about his breeds. I was trying to look up what breeds might be in my eggs and it appears that buff orpingtons lay very light eggs, the guy told me that the big brown eggs were the bo eggs! :/ Well I guess everything is a mystery, should be fun finding out what we get!

Ok I'm beginning to think the guy isn't really sure about his breeds. I was trying to look up what breeds might be in my eggs and it appears that buff orpingtons lay very light eggs, the guy told me that the big brown eggs were the bo eggs! :/ Well I guess everything is a mystery, should be fun finding out what we get!
my buff orps lay darker eggs :) my barred rocks lay a very light brown egg and so do my brahmas

its no fun lol my current solution for the one that won't hold temp is to shine a heat lamp over it while I am turning eggs to keep the temp up. seems to be working for now. and for the other one I've just been swapping out damp sponges and keeping and adding water bowls. finally got it up to 35 so hopefully it will stay there. I don't know what I will do for lockdown though

my buff orps lay darker eggs :) my barred rocks lay a very light brown egg and so do my brahmas
Oh ok that makes me feel better. Really I don't care what I get so long as I can get them to hatch. I guess if I don't get any silver laced wyandottes I'd like a brahma and bo are pretty too! I guess since he has mixes the eggs could be a variety of colors for each breed. And for that I guess whatever hatches out of these could lay eggs a different shade then what they hatched from right? Well I guess I will find out what we got in 3 weeks!

Hello all...I would love to join your December hatch a long.

I just set some splash and sizzle eggs yesterday. They should hatch on 12/9. This will be my second hatch. I bought these from a BYC Member and I am soooo excited to see them progress.

I also ordered a little Brinsea which just came this eve. I am hoping to get some Rhodebars by friday I got off a E-BAy auction...Greenfire Farm lineage.

My first hatch was dreadful...shipped eggs with detatched air cells and a scrambled looking box. I did get one chick from that and he passed Monday. I cried for the day and I just received some shipped silkies this morning...unfortunately, only half made the journey. So sad.

So, I think I should change my name to "One who walks without chickens" But, I am a stubborn and determined gal!
Awwwwww, Hang in there!!
hugs.gif
Glad I found this thread. I've been kicking around the idea but had not eggs available. Now I do and will have to set everything up.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom