December Hatch-A-Long!

chonsey

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 17, 2015
État du grand lac
I have received a dozen La Bresse and four Barbezieux eggs (stabilizing from being shipped) and a new R-com incubator (replacement unit should be here tomorrow!). The liquid crystal display must have gotten damaged from transit, so disappointed. Thankfully - they are replacing the unit ASAP! Putting the eggs temporarily in my Farm Innovator Incubator until I can verify the R-com is running smoothly when it gets here!

WARNING - Graphic pictures posted below.

idunno.gif
Well...none of my eggs made it. I went through them carefully and there were no live chicks. I had a pip yesterday. And I could hear something peeping so I left everything until I got home last night. I noticed a small show of fluid underneath the egg. I candled and saw that the pip wasn't where the air cell was. I ever so carefully pulled a bit of shell off so I could peel a bit of the membrane back. There was no movement or signs of life so I peeled everything off carefully to expose a poor little fellow who did not make it. The yolk sac has not been fully absorbed and is exposed. I'm thinking the chick drowned?

I should also mention that my incubator was either at 102 or 104 when we got home. (I was too quick to open the bator to cool it down to take proper notice of the temps) But there was still movement in the New year's eggs and there was peeping last night and this morning, so I'm thinking it wasn't hot enough long enough to kill the eggs.

Tonight there was no peeping when I got home from supper...so I candled and I felt something may be wrong. I carefully opened up each egg, starting at the air cell.
Two eggs that must of died earlier showed liquid in the egg (right egg below).
A couple eggs had developed chicks that didn't look 100% ready to hatch.
Three eggs had fully developed chicks that looked ready to hatch.

The fellow to the left was possibly the one peeping. He was perfectly ready to hatch.

I'm not exactly sure what happened. I'm wondering if the chicks look a bit "shrink wrapped" for my liking. (above picture) Perhaps higher humidity should be in order?

I'm a bit disappointed...but it's a learning experience. I look forward to be home when the next bunch are ready as opposed to being busy and away yesterday and today. Maybe I would have caught things quicker if I'd have been home. Maybe that wouldn't have helped...lol. I'll see if things can be improved for the New Year's hatch.
thumbsup.gif
I'm so sorry you lost your chicks!! Good luck on your NY's hatch!

Hodor, it sounds like you've had quite the time indeed!
th.gif

Would definitely love to see your pics!
celebrate.gif
Your hygrometers kinda sound like mine...as in take your pick and guess what the humidity levels are.
hu.gif
Can't wait to hear your results.
jumpy.gif

As for your question, I don't have the experience to answer that confidently. I'm sure someone who does will chime in.
smile.png

Last edited:
Check out the learning center. I LOVE IT! What I understand is the first day you put the egg in the incubator is day one and hatch day is day 21. I've learned this depends on temperature/humidity control during incubating or how the heat is distributed in the incubator. You can have cooler and warmer spots, I keep my farm innovator at 99.5 f and 40-45% humidity 1-18 and then day 19-21 increase humidity 60-65% and stop turning eggs (remove auto turner) for lockdown. They should be internally piping @day 19 - I use my flashlight apps for candling on my cellphone. When you can see their little beaks move in the air cell area. They are getting ready to start unzipping! Sometimes you can hear them chirp inside the egg.

I've read where they can hatch days later if temps got low anytime during incubating-like power outages or calibration goes out on gauge or thermometer is off a degree. I had a power outage today, so the eggs in my incubator may not hatch out on day 21. I just have to make sure they didn't get too cold for too long. If the temperature is slightly higher than your chicks may hatch sooner. I've learned a lot these past couple of months from the learning center and others, I use the search engine all the time and read up on other people's experiences and photos. I just had some healthy chicks hatch days early on thanksgiving.

Last edited:
My old hen: Lady Brahma gave me an egg, it internally pip'd yesterday morning-put it lockdown! Just came home to this surprise! Sure has big eyes.

Last edited:
My whole day got turned upside down. I candled 3 eggs this morning (I couldn't help myself
hu.gif
) and all three eggs were showing signs of life.
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif

Here's some pics from tonight:

Crele Old English pullet (such tiny eggs!) Both are hers.

Old English hen, duckwing An EE (hard to see clearly)

I see a few that don't appear to be developing, but final judgment won't be made until 7-10 days at least. I did add another yogurt container of water (high tech
gig.gif
) to increase the humidity last night.

woot.gif

I came across a really helpful thread and I was gonna post the link...and now I can't find it.
hide.gif
I'll post it if I find it.
D.gif

Our little pipper hatched overnight; a cute buff looking baby. We have a new pip this morning. I realized day 21 didn't technically start until late evening yesterday so we're still doing okay on time. These do seem to be a bit slower though.

Back
Top Bottom