December hatch-along

My poor, sad, shipped Cochin Frizzle eggs! Of twelve, only one looks like it is going into lockdown with a developing chick.

The last time I had a solo hatchling from shipped eggs (a peachick), I was able to find a local Craigslist ad for day old FBCMs, so my peababy had company.

Now that it's winter, there are no local chicks available. Any tips on what to do with this little one, if it does make it? I don't want it to be lonely. I have some very nice 3 month old silkies. What if I brought one back in the house and put it in the brooder with a brand new chick? Does that sound safe?

Thanks.

My poor, sad, shipped Cochin Frizzle eggs! Of twelve, only one looks like it is going into lockdown with a developing chick.

The last time I had a solo hatchling from shipped eggs (a peachick), I was able to find a local Craigslist ad for day old FBCMs, so my peababy had company.

Now that it's winter, there are no local chicks available. Any tips on what to do with this little one, if it does make it? I don't want it to be lonely. I have some very nice 3 month old silkies. What if I brought one back in the house and put it in the brooder with a brand new chick? Does that sound safe?

Thanks.

You could try it but be very vigilant. Even though it's a silkie, being that much older it would be huge and could seriously injure your new baby. Add a small stuffed animal to the brooder to be with it and maybe a small mirror so it feels like it has company.

Last edited:
You could try it but be very vigilant. Even though it's a silkie, being that much older it would be hide and could seriously injure your new baby. Add a small stuffed animal to the brooder to be with it and maybe a small mirror so it feels like it has company.
Thank you, that is a wise warning and those are some helpful ideas.
smile.png

Try this:

I found the video very easy to follow and it worked wonderfully. The light clicked on and off and kept the temperature steady. I ordered the thermostat, computer fan, and hygrometer from ebay. My thermostat was a slightly different model, but I figured it out. I used nonslip shelf liner over a plastic container to place the eggs on. Inside the container, I used an old child's sock to absorb the water and keep humidity steady. If humidity got too high, I opened the lid for a few seconds and let it adjust back. I usually added a small amount of water 3x a day when I turned eggs. On lock down, I added a wet sponge to increase humidity and squirted additional water through one of the holes drilled in the bottom of the incubator using a child's medication syringe. The only thing I will do differently is get a larger container for the eggs to be placed on. My babies rolled off after they hatched. I want it to cover the bottom next time.

Good luck and I hope it helps.

Wow, this is great, thanks. Had hubby watch too. :)

My GFCI outlet tripped and my incubators went cold
barnie.gif
. The temps were good this morning so and I have no idea when it tripped. Praying all is well.

Anyone else want to say which is their favorite? I haven't owned them, but I've hatched them because after looking around, loved, loved the Welsh Harlequin! Even the girls have that pretty blue in their wings.
Welshies!! Love em, and wouldn't trade them for the world.

So, it looks like I have 2/10 honas left as of today, day 9.... Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, my little singleton chick didn't make it. It had pipped and was peeping before bed but in the morning, I found that it had passed :( It was a little blue silkie. Hopefully, I'll have better luck with the New years hatch.

Back
Top Bottom