Decrowing surgery - my roosters experiences

I had a bit of a set back. My flock got a respiratory infection and we had to postpone the next batch of white bresse for the crow reduction surgery. I have 3 bresse roos, so I guess I need to really figure out which 2 go for surgery.

Reginald had some issues a couple weeks ago where we think he got an impacted gizzard. My bf tended to him and he seems recovered. They wheeze after the procedure, so diagnosing the respiratory infection was a bit trickier than normal.

A 3 day course of tylan injections seems to have fixed everyone up. I need to be more careful when I spray sweet pdz powder.
Spray PDZ powder????

I use the granules on the roost boards, even they can be dusty....
...I can't imagine 'spraying' it....or how or why.

Last edited:
Talked to the local vet who does this today. He charges $150 (which seems reasonable) and he recommends waiting until they've at least attempted to crow (he says the surgery is easier to do when they're more developed than when they're younger). So conflicting opinions abound.

It's a learning curve for sure. The crowing is a bit much for me atm... but I have more candidates for the decrowing surgery. I have 1 better black saturated ayam cemani, and 2 white bresse roos I like.

$150 is what I pay for mine to get done. I've also had a respiratory thing since before Thanksgiving I can't shake.

Never again will I carelessly sprinkle sweet pdz powder again. Going to the dr tomorrow.

I do too. The roos that had not had the crow reduction surgery are now in freezer camp. Peace has returned to the flock. Ahh.. much better. :)

Off to the dr soon... I coughed up blood today. So I'm a bit nervous. Ok, scared out of my mind.

Never again will I be so careless with DE, sevin dust and sweet pzd powder. I am hoping it's not too bad..

Hi, can you tell me which Vet you have spoken to about this? I live in California and am interested in the surgery, but I can't find anyone local. Thanks!

The surgery went well, the boys are recovering well, eating etc. I'm so relieved, now time will tell if they are able to crow and how loudly, since the procedure was done before they even started crowing and they are young and healthy.

Reginald may be for sale in a few months, as I have been planning on using Boss for breeding.

Thank you to dretd and kerstiens, for the ayam cemani and for doing decrowing surgery, both extremely hard things to find.

You may be able to tell in a few weeks if the surgery has worked or not. I have two 12 week old cockerels and they make what they think is a good effort at crowing every morning when i let them out of the coop!

CT

Back
Top Bottom