Decrowing surgery - my roosters experiences

Will the decrow surgery stop the stop the rooster from ALL noise or will he still be able to cluck??
In this case, I believe he was still crowing:
Boss was extremely loud, even a year after his surgery, but his father was glass breakingly loud. Boss was 30% as loud as his dad. He ended up living in special sound muffled ventihlated lighted with agricultural growing lights rooster housing in the basement

Roosters happen even if one buys pullets. Roosters are awesome, I think. Unfortunately my neighbors, and most people in general don't enjoy the sound of rooster crows, much less a crowing contest.

I fell in love with ayam cemani chickens. I live in an urban area, which one would equate to no roosters. I desperately wanted to breed fibromelanistic chickens. Research brought me to several options. No crow collars, decrowing surgery or not breeding.

On BYC there was a member selling a semi-quieted rooster. I talked it over with my bf, he saw the you tube video and said ok, but if the neighbors complained, he'd have to go.

The neighbors love Lenny. He's so good to my hens in my laying flock. He can crow, but it's not very loud. He's probably 25% as loud as a normal rooster.

The summer and fall went by, no issues with the neighbors and us having chickens, ducks and a semi-quieted rooster. Then finally the ayam cemani chicks from my friend's flock hatched. And I got a dozen chicks.

There was a very handsome mottled English orpington that had a brief affair with the cemanis, out of my 12, I have 4 obvious haffies, ayam cemani x orpington.

I picked my 2 best blackest roos (Boss & Reginald) and dretd, the BYC member that does decrowing surgery and learned from Dr. James in Oklahoma, picked them up on Sunday.

She just called me to tell me the surgeries went well. My boys were hatched 3rd week of August, 2014, Reginald was 2.25 lbs. and he was the smaller of the 2.

Good news on black color saturation on my ac boys, larynx was gray as well as trachea, and the heart she said was charcoal gray, and the meat! It's the dark blackish mulberry tinge she said about what she saw.

I miss my boys, I handle them a lot, they are a naturally flighty breed of chicken, but once you have one held, they are so sweet and friendly.

My roos had not yet begun to crow. Time will tell if the surgery was a success.

Most roosters face the same fate- an axe to go in the stewpot. Many of us love our roosters, but no one wants to fight with their neighbors. Perhaps the risk and cost of this procedure is too high for some. I certainly am not going to do this to all my roosters, I'm also learning to caponize and have 1 capon under our belt so far, being self taught by reading a caponizing thread on BYC. Idk if this is the perfect answer to wtd with all the extra roosters we end up with. But it's usually an early death for most roos everywhere, but maybe not for all of them anymore.
please help me find a person who will try the de crow surgery I cannot find dr James in ok I live in so calif but will drive them days to save them. thanks so ca is conjested so there is no rehoming that will not end in the soup pot. Thanks

Just found out there's a clinic that's practically within walking distance of my house that does decrowing surgery. I might seriously consider taking a couple of my boys in. What age are yours?
im trying to find a de crow vet to save my male any guidance much appreciated

Thanks for the info, i've heard of St Louis Clinic through an article, i'll give them a call when i'm ready. I live down in San Diego, but can't find anyone down here.
im also in so cal and will need to drive to Oakland for roo surgery anyone want to share the trip?

Back
Top Bottom