Decrowing surgery - my roosters experiences

Ok... crow reduction surgery. @dretd here on byc is the vet I use here in Colorado that does the crow reduction surgery. She also breeds crested cream legbars and I believe is the vp of the ccl breeders assn of America or something along those lines.

I had 2 white bresse and 2 ayam cemani surgically crow reduced. I couldn't find a buyer for Reginald and he was very loud and not as good of a specimin for breeding like his brother Boss.

Boss was extremely loud, even a year after his surgery, but his father was glass breakingly loud. Boss was 30% as loud as his dad. He ended up living in special sound muffled ventihlated lighted with agricultural growing lights rooster housing in the basement my bf had to build me after one neighbor (out of everyone in a 6 block radius, who we happened to have been good friends with for 6 years before this and used to love my roosters until February of this year) started complaining and eventually called code enforcement.

Code enforcement is on my side btw :) saying that since my roosters live indoors with crow reduction surgery he has no grounds, as that makes them pets, not livestock living in my basement & in very clean sanitary nice conditions).

Last week I finally sold Boss and his 2 hens to be outside on 40 acres being the great rooster he is.

I had 2 white bresse also have the surgery. My vet dretd here on BYC said she now thinks it might be better to do the surgery after the roosters are bigger and have been crowing a bit. Boris ended up passsing away due to a respritory thing *he had heen living outside then moved inside when he started showing signs. It was several months after the surgery* I still have Jean-Pierre. He is pretty soft in hus drowing. I can barely hear him indoors when I'm in the living room with the tv off and the muffling layers over the rooster housing are raised up.

I have 2 svart honas that started crowing last week at 4.5 weeks old and another ayam cemani rooster. I'm not sure on getting the surgery for these guys, it's difficult to sell them for enough money even if they are a rare coveted breed. Since I keep them in my basement unless my neighbor is gone (he is frequently gone for weeks at a time) I'm not sure I will get it done again, unless that neighbor moves.

All my other neighbors in a 6 block radius (I walked to hear how far away I could hear them several times) love my roosters and remark when they don't hear them. There's a signed affadavit from ALL of my neighbors btw that my animals are not a noise or smell/odor nuisance in a 6 block radius on top of this and a lawyer on retainer on standby... so that neighbor has chilled out a bit.

It isn't about the aftercare.. just some end up louder than others. Some do not make it through the surgery alive.

Mine did great, but due to an overly sensitive neighbor and the fact that one rooster was super loud to begin with, I feel it is best FOR ME to not have the surgery done since my roosters live in the basement UNLESS my 1 neighbor isn't home.. which he is gone often.

Quote:
I didn't. The aftercare required (basically keeping the rooster isolated and in the dark for 2-3 weeks while he heals up) simply wasn't an option for me. And in the end, none of my neighbors care about the crowing, so it wasn't a problem anyway.

Quote: Highstreet didn't have it done.

Back
Top Bottom