deep litter and linoleum floor?

We had two steel trays constructed, each half the width of the roosting area. We then attached handles. We slid these under the roosting area. Under our roosts is chicken wire ( poultry netting). The poop falls through (mostly) into the bins that we remove and empty out every couple of months. Keeps our coop pretty clean. We use horse stall fresher between cleanings.

Last edited:
We have the plastic bottom of a rabbit cage(poop Collector) filled with an inch of PDZ under the roosting bars. Then ea. morning I go out and scoop(like kitty litter) the poo out and throw on top of compost pile. I move the straw around on the floor a lil every few days and only have to fully clean out every few mos. I'm a clean freak, most around here only clean once or twice a yr. I have never had any bad smells from mine or neighbors. I do put a small scoop of DE in once a week in summer and once a mo. in winter. I have a 6x8 coop with only 6 hens and 1 roo, so fairly easy to keep up with and they free range during the day. Love all the ideas I read about on here.

My husband built a poop drawer that he can pull out and empty. It is under the roosts and has chicken wire to keep the chickies out of it. We found out the hard way that it needed some sort of latch to keep anything but us from pulling it out. We had 2 neighborhood Golden Retrievers pull the drawer out and they killed all but 2 of our flock of 12. It was heart breaking.

I was reading this old thread and had a question. I am planning on DLM, originally I had read that pine shavings were not the best because they broke down slowly. I am also reading that with a wood/vinyl floor (my plan) that you won't get much composting/breakdown anyway. Once the summer gets here I plan to add some lawn clippings and leaves to my litter, is there anything better to use in the mean time. Or is pine the better option for now? I have read that crushed corn cobs are not ideal either.

I was reading this old thread and had a question. I am planning on DLM, originally I had read that pine shavings were not the best because they broke down slowly. I am also reading that with a wood/vinyl floor (my plan) that you won't get much composting/breakdown anyway. Once the summer gets here I plan to add some lawn clippings and leaves to my litter, is there anything better to use in the mean time. Or is pine the better option for now? I have read that crushed corn cobs are not ideal either.
Here's couple links that might help.
You might not want deep litter in your coop, deep bedding might be better choice.

TalkALittle's post on DB vs DL: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075545/can-i-do-deep-litter-method-with-this-coop#post_16440037

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'litter' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Back
Top Bottom