Deep litter method

Do the chickens mind the astro turf? The green plastic stuff right? Would seem prickly.
Not if you get the rubbery grey nest pad. It's not rubber but it's more of that softer texture compared to orginal astro turf. There's different styles of astro turf. But yes it is astro turf with a lot of drainage. I also put a lot nesting material on top so they probably don't notice anything. Hens are picky creatures tho. The goal is to soften the the area the egg is on. It's most commonly used on metal but I use it to help prevent egg breakage in general. It's cleaned by hosing it off and letting it dry.

2 options on this one is either

ordering a sampler pack and figure out which one you like better/ you hens

or you can try out this guys that's cheaper for small amounts http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/kuhl-plastic-nest-pads.html (there are cheaper than this tho). Cheaper guy http://www.qcsupply.com/420355-standard-nesting-pad.html

Unfortunately for the brahma's it won't cover the whole nest tho

If you need a lot the roll is cheaper and easier to build your own. I think by your measurements/hens you need 20 sq ft to make 2 per box.

Plus the brahma's really are like great danes in the fact it's hard to find their size. So I say go with the sample pack or find the softer of the 6 that is more like the link above to improve drainage.

Sample packs are typically free to $5 and are 1 per customer. It is a 6x6 in sample.

Last edited:
Do the chickens mind the astro turf? The green plastic stuff right? Would seem prickly.
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a nylon mesh feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. In winter poop freezes and comes off with a little flex and a shake over compost bin. Easy Peasy

Last edited:
I put straw or leaves or whatever in first and then I'll add a few handfuls of shavings on top and just kind of stick my fingers through all of it and wiggle my hand a bit to mix them in. Not much, just a small movement. The fronts of your nests should have a guard on it too, a board up to 6 inches wide, run across the front of the nest to keep the materials in.
I do not put straw in mine I use hey and wood chips, but they do kick it to the side, I have a camper for a coop so they are not right on the ground at night, I have a fenced in yard for them, I can not let them free range where we live but them have a yard plus we are going to make it bigger, DH said we may move them this summer

I do not put straw in mine I use hey and wood chips, but they do kick it to the side, I have a camper for a coop so they are not right on the ground at night, I have a fenced in yard for them, I can not let them free range where we live but them have a yard plus we are going to make it bigger, DH said we may move them this summer
The risk with the straw is botulism. Straw / hay can grow mold after a while which if the hen eats certain types of mold it can lead to botulism. There is no cure and they either die from a slow painful death or I'd cull off the flock out of mercy.

Wood chips run the risk of the foot becoming infected. Chicken cuts foot on wood chip and chicken poops on it. Thus, it gets infected. This one is treated based on size. Small, inject with 1/2 cc of penicillin (at right dosage and concentration for chicken). Large, it needs minor surgery to get all the lovely cheese-like purulent substance out.

This is why these are not common for the for deep litter with the exception of straw in a nest box.

Yes it is possible to use some of the material, but you really have to know what you are doing.

This is the scientific answer of why expanding on the previous post.

sand and pine shaving .

Sand on bottom to improve drainage and pine shavings on top to prevent bumblefoot. The soft surface is what helps prevents it.

I wouldn't use it during the rainy season.

Gravel can be used under the sand but it can be risky if they eat it so I don't do it.

Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't retain moisture and the top of it is soft. Also it isn't sharp. That's what leads to the problems I described above. (no cedar shavings, it causes respiratory issues)

Last edited:
sand and pine shaving .

Sand on bottom to improve drainage and pine shavings on top to prevent bumblefoot. The soft surface is what helps prevents it.

I wouldn't use it during the rainy season.

Gravel can be used under the sand but it can be risky if they eat it so I don't do it.

Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't retain moisture and the top of it is soft. Also it isn't sharp. That's what leads to the problems I described above. (no cedar shavings, it causes respiratory issues)
How often do you go in and stir things up? Do you just then add more shavings or do you add more sand and shavings? I like your method. Sounds like happy hens :) Do you use this in both your coop, nest boxes and covered run if you have one?

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a nylon mesh feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. In winter poop freezes and comes off with a little flex and a shake over compost bin. Easy Peasy
Can you show me what a nylon mesh feed bag is? Or a pic of your nest boxes?

How often do you go in and stir things up? Do you just then add more shavings or do you add more sand and shavings? I like your method. Sounds like happy hens :) Do you use this in both your coop, nest boxes and covered run if you have one?
My mother in law does this. It's more the sand is the draining layer on bottom and everything is changed after a while (couple months or personal preference). It's pretty much the same as all the other deep litter methods with a little more drainage. The nest boxes have the mock astro turf pad and nesting material and it's changed often.

I can't afford to use it but I have worked with it. It stays dry and drains well in the rain. My mother in law has 20 chickens I think.

Yes my run is covered. with 12 sq feet per hen and It attaches to the coop. It's probably more but I just made sure it was over 10 sq feet per hen. It's a PVC pipe box with hardware cloth and greenhouse roofing on top. I secured the hardware cloth with zip ties. I made doors with PVC hinges. It's easy to move where I want. I am not worried about the greenhouse problem because all I have is shade and it adds visibility. It is secured by garden stakes.

It's not completely predator proof but it's just enough for my needs. I have a hawk problem and a brown and white border collie named Jedi problem. Jedi hasn't learned chickens do not want to be herded and is very frustrated. Also they are surrounded by a 6 ft fence too.

My pest are wild birds and squirrels. They cause issues with my attic and feed. I have been squirrel proofing lately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom