Deep litter method

Hi everyone :) 

I am using sand right now in a 4x8 wood coop with a wood floor painted with deck paint. Sand is CLEAN but too much work for me. I am thinking about switching to deep liter, but wonder...

I have about 5 inches at most for the depth. And the floor is wood. Will this work okay with my coop you think? Anyone that does this over a wood floor have any tips or advice? From what I am reading, it seems that dirt floors are ideal? 

Some people purchase a big piece of linoleum to put on the floor before starting DL. They get an off piece or something that's super cheap. I think DL is the easiest way for a coop. No smell, composts great and you can use it in the gardens :)

Some people purchase a big piece of linoleum to put on the floor before starting DL. They get an off piece or something that's super cheap. I think DL is the easiest way for a coop. No smell, composts great and you can use it in the gardens
smile.png

Sounds like a win-win to me.
thumbsup.gif

Hi everyone :) 

I am using sand right now in a 4x8 wood coop with a wood floor painted with deck paint. Sand is CLEAN but too much work for me. I am thinking about switching to deep liter, but wonder...

I have about 5 inches at most for the depth. And the floor is wood. Will this work okay with my coop you think? Anyone that does this over a wood floor have any tips or advice? From what I am reading, it seems that dirt floors are ideal? 

I have sand now, tried the DL and it was way more work! Won't trade my sand for anything, very easy to clean! No smell either always smelled with DL.

I started a new thread... But though I'd post here also. We have a 2' x 7' run. We are currently using sand for the floor. I am not sold on the sand and want to try deep litter. I've read elsewhere is needs to be started in the spring. Now that its almost October, is it too late to start? If not, do I take all the sand out and put fresh dirt down? The run had an original dirt floor. If, it's too late does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in our run? We live in eastern pa so sometimes we can get pretty harsh winters.

I started a new thread... But though I'd post here also. We have a 2' x 7' run. We are currently using sand for the floor. I am not sold on the sand and want to try deep litter. I've read elsewhere is needs to be started in the spring. Now that its almost October, is it too late to start? If not, do I take all the sand out and put fresh dirt down? The run had an original dirt floor. If, it's too late does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in our run? We live in eastern pa so sometimes we can get pretty harsh winters.

I would think you would need to review the sand, you can start anytime. I empty out my coop in the spring and the coop floor has minimal shavings in it all summer since all they do is sleep in it. So the DL is started again in the fall. I live south of buffalo ny so we always have a ton of snow

Now is a great time to start. Take out your sand and start putting down crushed up dried leaves and pine shavings. Start about 4" deep. Stir occasionally or throw down corn for them to stir. It's the best time to get going on this. Save up bags of leaves and throughout the winter keep adding along with the shavings. Good luck. What's the name of your thread?
jumpy.gif

If you had a smell problem, then there was something wrong.

And if you were doing much work at all something was wrong.

Deep litter is just compost. It shouldn't smell. If it does, you don't have enough "browns." The only work involved is keeping it turned, and the chickens do that for me -- I just throw in a little scratch.

Back
Top Bottom