Deep litter method

If you had a smell problem, then there was something wrong.

And if you were doing much work at all something was wrong.

Deep litter is just compost. It shouldn't smell. If it does, you don't have enough "browns." The only work involved is keeping it turned, and the chickens do that for me -- I just throw in a little scratch.

Also you need good ventilation. The more the better is my thought. Drafts are bad in winter but mine has a lot of ventilation and the window is usually open all winter to help with ventilation

Also you need good ventilation. The more the better is my thought. Drafts are bad in winter but mine has a lot of ventilation and the window is usually open all winter to help with ventilation
Do you have floor ventilation and then roof ventilation? I'm wondering how you keep your birds from freezing to death in those New York winters.

Do you  have floor ventilation and then roof ventilation?  I'm wondering how you keep your birds from freezing to death in those New York winters.

This is my hoop coop now. I roll up the sides in the early spring and they stay up till late fall. I have 2 roof vents and the window in the door is always open as long as snow isn't blowing in it. I roll down the sides for winter and put hay bales around it on 3 sides (I reuse the hay bales in the spring in the garden. And last year I got all but 2 for free from people who were throwing them out after Halloween
1f601.png
)

The only time I locked them in is when we had 2 blizzards last year. Otherwise they come out in the snow to go in their old covered run and scratch thru the veggie garden. I have an "A" frame structure that is long as a cover area (shade/hawk cover) that gets moved into the garden to give them more snow free space. They are fed outside the coop in a small lean to that's covered on 3 sides. I use it the rest of the year to keep their waterer in.

The coop is only covered in build board material. The cold doesn't bother them all winter. No frost bite. He drafts are what will kill birds. And no heat. We lose electricity to much. And I would rather have cold tolerable birds than pay for heating a coop and having them die when the power goes out.

Thank you for sharing the pics. I have a hoop coop too but I wasn't planning on using it over the winter, though I may need to for part of it anyway. I have to get the roof on my barn replaced ASAP as I'm running out of time. Finally got all the plywood purchased... just need to start getting up early and get to it before the sun gets too hot... this week is supposed to be cooler so I'm hoping I have the energy to get it at least well under way by this time next week. I plan to have one of those roof vents, a gable I believe it is called where the entire top of the pitched roof is open with another roof over that for ventilation.

I agree about no heating. The birds need to be strong.

Hey gang,

Thought I'd give a short testimony on my experience. My deep litter has broken down into a powder. 99% of the bedding in the coop was wood shavings and over the course of a year it has broken down into a powdery substance. I'm going to have a soil expert test it to determine nutrient levels but thought I'd toss this out for your information.

Thank you for sharing the pics. I have a hoop coop too but I wasn't planning on using it over the winter, though I may need to for part of it anyway. I have to get the roof on my barn replaced ASAP as I'm running out of time. Finally got all the plywood purchased... just need to start getting up early and get to it before the sun gets too hot... this week is supposed to be cooler so I'm hoping I have the energy to get it at least well under way by this time next week. I plan to have one of those roof vents, a gable I believe it is called where the entire top of the pitched roof is open with another roof over that for ventilation.

I agree about no heating. The birds need to be strong.
Beekissed had one year around and even in the snow she did fine.

Back
Top Bottom