Deep litter method

Reading this I get the feeling that some moisture is wanted in the DL? I thought it was suppose to be absolutely dry except for the chicken poo!
barnie.gif

If this is true then I need to put the litter back and get it damp so it can break down and heat up...wouldn't you say?

Reading this I get the feeling that some moisture is wanted in the DL? I thought it was suppose to be absolutely dry except for the chicken poo!  :barnie

If this is true then I need to put the litter back and get it damp so it can break down and heat up...wouldn't you say?

My roof is leak proof but with the side of the hoop coop billboard rolled up the rain does damp down the edges. I either throw some seed in for the girls to,scratch it all around or do a quick rake job. I don't do this daily maybe weekly if I remember. During the summer when it's dry I do add water when it gets dusty. And fresh grass clippings thrown in seem to add moisture to help it break down. And during the winter snow carried in by hens or me helps to. 2 winters ago I found an earthworm in the dirt under the DL at the end of December when the ground outside was frozen solid.

Last edited:

This is a brief look at my coop today. As you can see the sides are still up. They won't go down till the snow comes. Girls are enjoying digging through leaf & grass clippings I tossed in there this morning. It's wet since we had a frost last night but with them scratching it around & the sides up it will dry quickly.

I bow to your greater experience here, but no way in #$*! do I want a leaking coop.
Bahahaha, I do understand. But I live in the deep south and I have a dog kennel coop with a tin roof. When it rains the water just seeps through because I have it on a slight slope. It goes out the other side. I do deep litter and it works great. I have to water it down in the heat. But they love the sprinkle to cool off .
lau.gif

Reading this I get the feeling that some moisture is wanted in the DL? I thought it was suppose to be absolutely dry except for the chicken poo!
barnie.gif

No you really need some water. Not sopping but at least something to keep the bugs and whatever happy. It will break down nicely. Bag up a bunch of leaves this fall and add along with shavings. In fact I'm going to do a deep litter in the run when I get it finished. Chickens love to be able to scratch around and play. Just dump it in and let them spread it.

Hi Bee, good to see you.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
so now I have more litter to manage.
idunno.gif
I dumped 8 gallons of water in it last night. Mixed it in pretty good and it gave a musty smell this morning. I tried to mix it more but the litter was so dry the water could not penetrate, kinda like peat moss but I know it'll get there eventually.

What about pulling the litter back, dumping water on the ground then spreading the litter back on top of it? The thought is it would be a primer to get moisture in the ground as what I got down to was pretty dry when you look at the video.

I did however come up with a better idea in getting the litter out of the hen house...just dump it in the coop. I knew it would be easier...somehow.
big_smile.png

What about pulling the litter back, dumping water on the ground then spreading the litter back on top of it? The thought is it would be a primer to get moisture in the ground as what I got down to was pretty dry when you look at the video.

I did however come up with a better idea in getting the litter out of the hen house...just dump it in the coop. I knew it would be easier...somehow.
big_smile.png
You could always add some damp leaves & grass clippings. Mine DL is dry also but I found adding the clippings gives it some much needed moisture when its dry. THe hens mix it around for me. :)

Here's my curiosity. Sawmills, and people that saw wood for fire wood often have accumulations of sawdust, & chainsaw sawdust that's a little coarser than regular sawdust. I realize eastern red cedar and fresh pine may have oils present that may be harmful to chickens respiration system. What's you thoughts on walnut, oak, & hickory chainsaw sawdust? Anything I should stay away from?. There is also shredded wood, and double shredded. I'm just looking for your opinions. Thanks
Jim

the water caught up with me...just a short bit ago I went out to check on the critters and the coop had a very strong ammonia smell. So, it took 24 hours to kick in but it did. I raked the litter around and was followed by 3 to 4 birds rustling around in the coop to check things out. I think it's under control...

Here's my curiosity. Sawmills, and people that saw wood for fire wood often have accumulations of sawdust, & chainsaw sawdust that's a little coarser than regular sawdust. I realize eastern red cedar and fresh pine may have oils present that may be harmful to chickens respiration system. What's you thoughts on walnut, oak, & hickory chainsaw sawdust? Anything I should stay away from?. There is also shredded wood, and double shredded. I'm just looking for your opinions. Thanks
Jim
I use the shavings from cutting firewood & toss them straight in the coop. I even toss in fresh pine pieces as well. The cedar I would stay from tho.

Back
Top Bottom