Deformed at hatch CAUTION graphic images.

So sorry you had to go through this, I myself am dealing with my own hatching issues now, so I do know what it's like. Scientifically speaking, I think it's very interesting that there were so many deformities from the eggs you purchased and perhaps a nearby lab would be interested in your findings? If you live in the US, find a lab, call them and speak with their avian pathologist. This link lists a bunch of labs by State:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

-Kathy

I'm so very very sorry you had to endure this. And equally sorry the seller blamed this on your incubator! I don't have the answers sadly but I just wanted to give you some support by saying how sorry I am that this tradgedy happened to you. It seems like a awful big percent for one hatch of deformities.

Last edited:
i belive most everyone agrees that it was bad eggs, so the million dollar question, where did the eggs come from?? i dont buy them online but alot of people do and if i ever did i sure would want to know who not to buy from

i belive most everyone agrees that it was bad eggs, so the million dollar question, where did the eggs come from?? i dont buy them online but alot of people do and if i ever did i sure would want to know who not to buy from
It's probably against the BYC rules to post that sort of info here.

-Kathy

i am sorry, i did not know. i have seen people say i bought eggs from so and so but i guess this is a different situation . my bad
duc.gif

i am sorry, i did not know. i have seen people say i bought eggs from so and so but i guess this is a different situation . my bad
duc.gif
It's probably okay to mention someone in a positive way, but I remember reading a thread where someone was unhappy about their hatchery chicks and I think that thread got deleted.

-Kathy

The head deformaties bring to mind anecephaly in humans which is caused by a lack of B vitamins, most importantly the Folic acid. Seeing this, I would bet that the parent stock are not getting proper feed, either through a companies neglect or the breeder not providing the right feed. No clue which. I can say this...this wasn't caused by your incubator. If it were me, I would never use them again and PM anyone you hear of who is thinking of using them as a supplier.

So sad for all involved! I'm not a vet so I'm not an expert but after 20 yrs of working with vets and different species of birds I've only seen one other hatch that came out that badly and was through bad inbreeding. The breeder may not know one of their hens or rooster was that inbred. Maybe they got a new hen or rooster to add some genetic diversity and got whammed too. I hope that was the case and they were able to cull that bird from their breeding flock. Did you call them on the phone and tell them what happened and what did they say? I'd love to know.... Susie Q

I now open all eggs to see what might have caused the hatching issues and I've only ever seen one deformed chick, it had a leg that looked like it was backwards.

-Kathy

Wow, I also agree that it could be lack of vitamins in the hen. But still informing the breeder is top on the list because again they may not know until someone tells them. If it was me I would want to know so I could figure out what to do about it. I plan on hatching my own chicks this spring and selling the baby chicks but I won't do that unless I can keep a diverse enough flock. I'm also going to start putting vitamins in my hens water. I already give them all warm soaked beet pulp in the winter like I do my ponies. Every thread I read gives me info I didn't have before I don't have a huge flock and everyone we have is part of our little farm family so keeping them healthy is the only way to go.

This has made me think twice before ordering or selling hatching eggs and the value of vitamins etc.. So don't feel bad at all... Valuable info, keeping up with health issues good or bad and asking questions is extremely important for all of us! Congrats for being tender hearted and Chicken Crazy "like the rest of us"!!!
D.gif
We all just do the best we can!

Back
Top Bottom