Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
Mine looked like that also...just more pale orange/yellow. Now that they have some age on them, the greenish tinge is unmistakeable, especially on the larger birds. There seems to be three different color of legs...the pale yellow, the deep yellow/orange, and the greenish...almost an olive green color.

Gleet~

Someone on another thread mentioned combining ACV with town water and it resulting in a too acid combination and that it caused gleet in their flocks. I'd say, if there is just one bird with the problem, it's the bird and not the flock husbandry. I would cull the one with gleet and continue with the ACV.

The birds I had with it when they returned from a bad flock keeper all healed up but one and she had to be culled. The rest recovered well and are still gleet free almost a year later.

Thanks for the info Bee, I knew you had dealt with Gleet as well and was not sure the outcome, mine has always been cull. Never seen a case in my homebred birds, only shipped birds, I am sure the stress triggers all kinds of possible things in the weaker birds.

Hopefully when Kathy gets a chance she will chime in on the green legs. Several of my chicks legs are definitely green. I also wonder where this comes from especially with the carefull culling that I know Kathy must have done. I just assumed the green legs in the other strains of Delawares out there began with some type of "outcrossing".

I hope Kathy is okay...haven't heard from her for awhile. Just want her to know we are thinking about her and enjoying seeing the fruits of her careful labor running all over the meadow. Good work always stands out and these birds certainly do!

Zanna
You can tell I'm a chicken young timer because I had to look up " GLEET " Never had a chicken so far with the condition. In my search I did find this real interesting info on the subject
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html It was a link from a BYC thread.
I do appreciate you posting that info, and will use it if necessary. I'm still wondering how it's showing up in the first place and why, after Kathy was so good about selecting against it?

Here in NorCal, there are some farmers who have a keen interest in Delawares. They raise pastured poultry, don't like CornishX and aren't happy with the Freedom Rangers, either. One of them was over here and thought my rooster (from another breeder) was big. He's tall, but lacks much of a breast. I think these type of farmers are going to be excited when they see what these new Dels, bred to standard, look like. I've also had several requests for exhibition Delawares from 4H families. So there is some demand for standard bred Delawares.
In my review of the Green leg problem I don't think just culling birds with the green would solve it. A Cock with yellow legs could be throwing the gene and unless you test that Cock with
a green leg hen you would not know where the green is coming from. I do think you can eliminate it in a couple breedings with tests. I am not sure if Kathy was just culling or testing also.

I think you are correct that this Del line could be the free range meat bird. At least thats my goal and I may never show a chicken but I will eat my share LOL

Zanna
You can tell I'm a chicken young timer because I had to look up " GLEET " Never had a chicken so far with the condition. In my search I did find this real interesting info on the subject
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html It was a link from a BYC thread.
Yes, I have read that one before and did consider that when I treated for cocci, I possibly caused the imbalance in the gut flora and that caused the gleet. That being said though, none of the other chicks have a problem so this one must have a weaker system. I used to try to save all my sick birds, I was spending a lot of money and having birds shipped and did not want to lose them. Most of the time, they were not to be saved and I eventually had to cull regardless of my efforts. Now I pretty much just cull but these guys are special. "Big girl panties"..........

Since you posted about Gleet I started looking closer and I have one I call Sweetpea [ friendliest also smallest ] that is a little red.
It may be she just doesn't have good groth of feathers yet.
I am putting it on 7 days of yogurt which is suppose to cure most . If its gleet its not extreme yet . Keeping a watch on her though.

Since you posted about Gleet I started looking closer and I have one I call Sweetpea [ friendliest also smallest ] that is a little red.
It may be she just doesn't have good groth of feathers yet.
I am putting it on 7 days of yogurt which is suppose to cure most . If its gleet its not extreme yet . Keeping a watch on her though.
If you have gleet you know it. White liquid stinky, really stinky discharge, just seems to run out of their rear randomly. I have tried many ways to cure it in years past, culling was the only way :( I don't think it is very common, this is the fourth time I have seen it over 7 years (not once in the past 4 years) two were youngsters, one came down with it as an adult and now this little girl.

I'm trying to teach these guys how to roost at night. I keep finding them piled up on the floor of the coop. I made a simple, low roost for them. I put them on it each night. I took this pic in the dark, couldn't even see what I was shooting. I was trying to get a shot of them all lined up. They're still getting the hang of it.

Progression pics?
caf.gif

Jeff

Progression pics?
caf.gif

Jeff
Took these pics a couple of days ago, these guys are either jumping all over me as I am the "food" lady, or off doing their own thing with their BCM buddies. Hard to get good pics! Going to try to get a few better ones today. Finally they are not looking so naked!!! The girl in the lead of the first picture is a runt and has very white legs. I am not sure I will end up with a breedworthy pullet :( Very few girls in the bunch and I think they all have green legs, might have one that will be ok. I have 19 of the original 21 chicks, one culled due to vent gleet and one pecked to death as I failed to notice a bloody spot above his parsons nose the night before :( 6 are roosting finally, the rest still sleep piled on the ground. Never had any other breed still happy sleeping on the ground at 8 weeks old! About 1/2 free-range the whole day, the other 1/2 are coop hangers so far. Interesting...............

Back
Top Bottom