Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
Believe it or not the one complaining is a nephew!!!! Brat!! Just to me. In the summer I live in the mtns in a hollow to far out to zone or anything else in the summer. Its more or less everyone for his self here. If an animal gets to destructive or a problem they usual disappear not by me but by others eventually. I enjoy watching the guinea's and ducks but I really wish the neighbor would keep his critters home.
Mtn rules are a bit different than towns or other places about. Mostly its live and let live until its time to SSS. Then its that. I learned a bit ago its easier to get along; just to fence in and let the other go. Less hard feelings and work. I have plenty of room to do that. I just do not have the energy and money to indulge like I would like to. But I can not complain. This is a beautiful place to me. Tucked into the side of hill with the grass spread down a sloping hill to a creek about 300 feet below me. I wish I could build a home further down some day and leave this upper portion all to my hens fenced in. Dreams in the sky but who knows, I might just put feet to those dreams some day.
smile.png

Chickens start out rough here...sort of like boot camp for birds. They either get tough or die...
smile.png
Ok - thats it, my next batch I have shipped direct to you - " BEE's Boot camp for birds- survival training "
Hope ya know I'm just kidding with you Bee ! I wish we had the luxury of allowing complete free range .
We have plenty of land but we have plenty of predators too .
We only have enet now but its only as big as 330 feet will allow. We have plans this summer ,funds allowing. to
fence some additional acres with 6' 2x4 welded wire with two strands of hot . Plus some breeding pens.

I wish I could build a home further down some day and leave this upper portion all to my hens fenced in. Dreams in the sky but who knows, I might just put feet to those dreams some day.
smile.png
Gloria jean
I figure when I stop dreaming I won't be alive ! So just keep dreaming.
I have plenty of plans but life changes them .LOL Love your flowers BTW.

Hello Everyone,
I too was generously given eggs by Kathy. They are now six weeks old. There were 21 Delawares hatched. They are very cute and quite spunky.

I let them out for the first time yesterday. I have been treating them like gold I guess. They get organic feed that has Fertrell minerals and is 20% protein.

I will be trying to catch up with all the posts. It has been busy here as I am putting in a big vegatable garden right now as well as working.

Here are some pictures. There are a few more as well as little chick pictures at my profile.

Thanks, Bea

Hello Everyone,
I too was generously given eggs by Kathy. They are now six weeks old. There were 21 Delawares hatched. They are very cute and quite spunky.

I let them out for the first time yesterday. I have been treating them like gold I guess. They get organic feed that has Fertrell minerals and is 20% protein.

I will be trying to catch up with all the posts. It has been busy here as I am putting in a big vegatable garden right now as well as working.

Here are some pictures. There are a few more as well as little chick pictures at my profile.

Thanks, Bea
Great Pics! Mine are about a half week behind yours and look almost identical except for a little barer on their big rumps! Moved them out of the brooder into the main coop today, what a hoot, they flapped their wings and ran around like little mad chicks!!! Checked on them a couple of times and will go check sleeping arrangements in about an hour :) I know what you mean about treating them like gold, I have tried not too but it is hard, I think we all know how special these tykes have the potential to be.

Hi Zanna,
Yes, they are a hoot. Mine run madly back into the coop at the least thing. Being out is so new to them. Even though I have been very cautious with them they are perfectly hardy and fine. They are so colorful, it will be fun watching them all develop.

THE BIG ESCAPE!!!! RUN RUN!!!! That is what my chicks must have thought yesterday when I forgot to lock the run door. It was closed but I guess the wind helped them out. About an hour later, I felt a nagging that I might not have locked it. I went around the corner and very guilty little Del. faces peered up at me and ran into their enclosure from the nearby woods with all their wings flying. Whew!!! that was a close one. Little brats
lau.gif
They somehow knew they were not suppose to be there. They had that guilty look for sure. All accounted for. They naturally had some accomplices, the Gnh, orps, and NJH. I could not be angry at them. They were to funny. Then they went strait up the ramp into the coop, turned and peeped out.
gig.gif
Funny little chicks.

Zanna How old are your chicks?

Last edited:
THE BIG ESCAPE!!!! RUN RUN!!!! That is what my chicks must have thought yesterday when I forgot to lock the run door. It was closed but I guess the wind helped them out. About an hour later, I felt a nagging that I might not have locked it. I went around the corner and very guilty little Del. faces peered up at me and ran into their enclosure from the nearby woods with all their wings flying. Whew!!! that was a close one. Little brats
lau.gif
They somehow knew they were not suppose to be there. They had that guilty look for sure. All accounted for. They naturally had some accomplices, the Gnh, orps, and NJH. I could not be angry at them. They were to funny. Then they went strait up the ramp into the coop, turned and peeped out.
gig.gif
Funny little chicks.
:lau

Back
Top Bottom