Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
Hi All! Wanted your opinion on this pullet. She is not in a breeding pen and was not one I was going to breed. Something about her always just looked a little off...... Just did not see the balance in her that I saw in the two I chose to breed, she has a long back, appears narrow (maybe because of the long back) and not quite that bowl look that I envision the Dels to need. Today I took a good look at her and thought hmmm........ What do you all think? She has the most amazing TeePee tail and is heavier than the two I have in the breeder pens. She was 6LB 3oz two weeks ago.

1st two pics. are of her, next two for comparison are of my favorite who is in a breeder pen but has not laid an egg for 3 weeks since I put her in there :( First pic of her was from several months back and the 2nd one is from today. Oh well, she should certainly be cleaned out and fertile by the new Cockeral by the time she decides to lay again! Truthfully I have no idea if she has ever laid an egg. (The other 3 I have kept I am certain on). She was 5 LB 12 oz. two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Hi All! Wanted your opinion on this pullet. She is not in a breeding pen and was not one I was going to breed. Something about her always just looked a little off...... Just did not see the balance in her that I saw in the two I chose to breed, she has a long back, appears narrow (maybe because of the long back) and not quite that bowl look that I envision the Dels to need. Today I took a good look at her and thought hmmm........ What do you all think? She has the most amazing TeePee tail and is heavier than the two I have in the breeder pens. She was 6LB 3oz two weeks ago.

1st two pics. are of her, next two for comparison are of my favorite who is in a breeder pen but has not laid an egg for 3 weeks since I put her in there :( First pic of her was from several months back and the 2nd one is from today. Oh well, she should certainly be cleaned out and fertile by the new Cockeral by the time she decides to lay again! Truthfully I have no idea if she has ever laid an egg. (The other 3 I have kept I am certain on). She was 5 LB 12 oz. two weeks ago.

She looks fine to me. Nothing jumps out as being wrong with her. Breed her and see what she produces.
How frustrating that the gorgeous pullet is not laying!

Zanna, the only thing that really jumps out at me as being wrong with her are her solid black hackles. They should have at least some semblance of barring. She has a more Columbian Rock look to her hackles than Delaware. Nice chunky hen with nice tail black.

Last edited:
She looks fine to me. Nothing jumps out as being wrong with her. Breed her and see what she produces.
How frustrating that the gorgeous pullet is not laying!
Hey Kim, Thanks! Sometimes I look at her and she just looks like several chickens put together but I do think she is growing into herself. I also think her head looks small for her size. I'll probably put her in with one of the two cockerals when I'm done single mating one of the others. She may be laying a very long, narrow, light bulb looking egg, not sure. That would be another reason to not use her if it is the case. Have not had good luck hatching those and don't want to pass that shape on.

My other two that I know are laying lay a very large round egg, the way a Marans egg is supposed to be shaped. Any of you notice that? It is more of a challenge in some of the eggs to figure out big/little ends. The top two are from the pullet I am collecting eggs to hatch and the egg underneath is from one of my Leghorn/New Hampshire cross pullets in the laying flock:

Yes, I would use her. See what happens anyway. I have not kept up on the genetics, or can not recall all I had known. I have it on my old computer and need to dig it out. Anyway, originally, my genetics guy told me to specifically use "Columbian" female. That was a couple generations back, so I wonder what would happen now. Also, I know the barring has something to do with if they have received one or two doses of the gene.

I really need to pull out my genetics stuff from my old computer.

Addendum:
The reason I say I would use her is that she does have some good qualities and this is still a "project." First we work on the barn and then paint it. I would say she is worth a try anyway. May not work, but maybe she will.
smile.png
I imagine it depends on the male used with her, too.

Last edited:
Yes, I would use her. See what happens anyway. I have not kept up on the genetics, or can not recall all I had known. I have it on my old computer and need to dig it out. Anyway, originally, my genetics guy told me to specifically use "Columbian" female. That was a couple generations back, so I wonder what would happen now. Also, I know the barring has something to do with if they have received one or two doses of the gene.

I really need to pull out my genetics stuff from my old computer.
Thank you Kathy, your input is greatly appreciated! So excited to see how these F'5's grow out, mine and everyone elses!

Glad to see you posting and hope all is going well. Would love to hear the genetics info. you have if you get the chance.

Anyone else have or are close to getting chicks?

Pretty girl but poor hackles. Too solid in hackles but lovely tail black very pretty face.
Appreciate your input. These are F'4's from Kathinmo's new, recreated line of Delawares and a lot of the nicer pullets have the Columbian marked hackles. I don't think any of us with them had a Columbian marked Cockeral but mine are all slightly overcoloured. We shall see what the F'5's bring, this is new territory and there is not much information out there about the original development of this breed.............

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom