Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

hi ruth..
smile.png
..and your right..some things were harder to get...like maybe apples in a city..or whatever...
idunno.gif
..wonder what food would be scarce in todays time?...anyone have any ideas?...thanks, Wendy

fopzuu...yep!!..i think you may be!!...
smile.png
..i bet canned goods are gonna go like crazy!!..
smile.png

okay..hers another for all you tipplers...LOL...
lol.png

Raisin Wine
2 lbs raisins
1 lb sugar
1 sliced lemon
2 gal. boiling water

Seed and chop raisins fine. Put into a large crock with sugar and lemon. Pour boiling water in. Stir daily for 6-8 days. then strain and bottle and put in a cool place for 10 days and it will be ready.

Quote:
I think if things get much worse economically, ALL foods are going to be hard to get. In the 1940s there were still many, many farms. The local farmer, who supplied the nearby grocery stores with fresh vegetables, meat, milk and eggs is a thing of the past. Good thing many BYCers are growing their own food and raising chickens.

ruth...true..i never thought of it in that way...there arent many local farmers left at all..and they did supply alot of people back then...today so many farms are big companies..and i bet they will go down will all the other business....that is scary!!..
sad.png

Poor Man's Krazy Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6T cocoa
1 t salt
2 t soda
2 cups water
1/2 cup oil
2 T vinegar
2 t vanilla

mix all by hand , bake @ 350 for 30 minutes in 8 x 11 cake pan

very moist and tasty

I sometimes omit the cocoa and add some cinnamon instead ( i wing it by taste )and replace one cup of flour with oatmeal to make oatmeal cake

This recipe came from my great ( amish ) grandmother , Susie Yoder , who had 22 kids and had to cook in mass quantites for many kids on a depression era budget .

hi sweetcorn!..and thanks for the recipe..
smile.png
..i bet it will be good...most amish food is!...ever hear of their sweet bread starter?...you get a starter batch..and pass it along every 10 days. Its real good!...thanks again, Wendy

Yes, I used to have that recipe and lost it !!

The bread is great but keeping up with the starter and to get it baked when I had too much starter was always a challenge for me. I had a hard time remembering to feed it when I was supposed to too. I'm a dingbat
tongue.png

LOL..thats what JUST happend to me!..i just tossed my last starter!..i waited to long and had to toss it!..i do have the starter recipe somewhere..i'll have to dig it out again soon..
smile.png
..thanks, Wendy

I just made this the other night!

Hamburg gravy

1 lb of hamburger (or ground turkey)
1 cup flour
Water (add as much as needed for the right consistency)
kitchen bouquet (found in the BBQ sauce isle)NOTE: Contains Gluten
Salt and pepper to taste

6 red potatoes(can use white)

Boil the potatoes until soft. Set aside.

Brown the meat. When meat is mostly browned, add the flour a little at a time as if browning the flour itself. Once the flour and meat is well mixed add the Kitchen Bouquet, salt and pepper. Next add the water a little at a time to make a 'gravy'.
Continue adding water until the mixture boils, and has a nice meaty grave texture.
Serve over red potatoes mashed with a fork.

Also:

Elbow Macaroni and stewed tomatoes

Boil the elbow macaroni until soft, drain the water, and add the can of stewed tomatoes and simmer on low heat until stewed tomatoes are heated.

Back
Top Bottom