Design recommendations for coop using 38" pallets

Earthlark

Chirping
Feb 7, 2019
Roseville, MN
I have a few hundred of these 38"x38" pallets. I need to build a coop for about 8 birds within the next couple weeks (tho I'll probably only have 6 by then). Chickens currently roosting in tree, but with Minnesota winter coming on, I need to give them a bit more shelter.

1a) I'd love to use the pallets without taking them apart, but then I'd need to find some way to fill in the crevices between pallet boards since I imagine that would make the coop fairly drafty. Recommendations?

1b) Since pallets are 38" I'm thinking a 6'4"x6'4" or 6'4"x9'6" coop. (Not using standard dimensions will make it more of a pain I guess... :rolleyes: )

2) I could take the pallets apart and use the boards as shingles, though this would be a lot more work as boards have staples I'd have to remove.

The sketchup below is what I'm thinking. Any obvious changes needed, e.g. supports to add, etc?

To get an idea of what these pallets look like, I've included photos below of a quaiviary (...for quail) and temporary chick housing I built out of these pallets. (Note, I'm an amateur, so don't know proper building techniques.)

Quaiviary unfinished.jpg Quaiviary.jpg Boards.jpg Coop Blueprint.jpg

Last edited:
@FortCluck Great example. Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking.

What kind of insulation? Will it be covered on the inside? I've read a few things about chickens eating/tearing up the insulation. (I do have a bunch of drywall pieces I could use on the inside to reduce drafts, but guessing that wouldn't be so good because of moisture issues...)

@FortCluck Great example. Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking.

What kind of insulation? Will it be covered on the inside? I've read a few things about chickens eating/tearing up the insulation. (I do have a bunch of drywall pieces I could use on the inside to reduce drafts, but guessing that wouldn't be so good because of moisture issues...)
It's fanfold insulation sheets, they won't chew through it because it'll look like the wall. The pallets have wood slats that keep them out of it.

My husband built this coop using all free materials from friends and their businesses. He used 2x4s to make a frame and slid all the pallets on. We have insulation that we are putting on the inside in slots, it's so nice. I love it so much. It's a walk in too.

View attachment 1933491
I found using 2x3's makes sliding pallets on much easier, and they cost less.

The legs are rather thin huh?

I would invest in or rent a proper pneumatic nail gun.

Using them back to back and overlapped to cover the cracks would be righteous.

I'd skip a design and just get to blowing nails, putting proper design time into door and window frames.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom