Determining gender

Moonrisemama

Chirping
Aug 15, 2023
Hello! Me again. This is Freckles!!

I was ADAMANT this goose of ours was a girl (how they acted, etc) but now that Spring is approaching and I am still not seeing any eggs.. I am wondering šŸ¤£ they are an Embden cross. Hatched April last year. I will try to get a video of them making noise at some point too!

I am being patient šŸ¤£šŸ©· just curious, as we would like to find them a mate.

Attachments

• PXL_20240218_191153701.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240218_191153701.PORTRAIT.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20231231_224833547.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231231_224833547.PORTRAIT.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231231_224826051.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231231_224826051.PORTRAIT.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240218_191122959.jpg
    PXL_20240218_191122959.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Goosebaby
@JRies

Here is Freckles in all their glory; we started doing supplements of all kinds and they are back up to their regular wonderful goosey self again!!! You guys were so helpful, I thought you may be able to weigh in on my next question šŸ˜¬

@Goosebaby
@JRies

Here is Freckles in all their glory; we started doing supplements of all kinds and they are back up to their regular wonderful goosey self again!!! You guys were so helpful, I thought you may be able to weigh in on my next question šŸ˜¬
My main flock is not laying yet. It might take her a little more time to jump in but geese will start there season when its there body's time. Just make sure she has some calcium she can get to when its time.
3 years ago April my favorite goose got sick before her first season because she was in the house she got to much light and laid a few eggs in Dec. then stopped then in May she started laying for a few weeks. She now is my most dependable and fertile layer.
But other than waiting for the first egg and listening for the high pitched matting bugle Im not going to be much help. I have 12 ganders making that noise right now the girls are loud but its a deep voice they have.
Gatta love pre laying flirting and ear plugs.

When we had our pair, the other was the more boisterous and sassy acting of the two, constant neck noodling and acting fierce šŸ˜‚ but, perhaps Miso was just more dominant..???

Freckles is quite shy

Maybe check for a nest in your coop or perhaps in a pile of leaves in the run and feel around inside the nest. My White Chinese goose (hatched May last year) just started laying and her eggs were buried within her nest. The only way I knew she was laying was because I saw her making the nest :).

Maybe check for a nest in your coop or perhaps in a pile of leaves in the run and feel around inside the nest. My White Chinese goose (hatched May last year) just started laying and her eggs were buried within her nest. The only way I knew she was laying was because I saw her making the nest :).
Okay so, Freckles actually has a rather interesting way of life hahaha. They (as I'm now unsure of gender hahaha) live with our lone goat; they are a hilarious pair indeed! During the day, Freckles free ranges. But I know where they are at all times and follow around and nothing šŸ˜‚šŸ˜¬šŸ«  I usually check around the goat house quite frequently, and have seen not a dang thing in there in all the spilled hay. Freckles could very easily I'm sure, have a nest hiding somewhere I'm sure also!!!!

Okay so, Freckles actually has a rather interesting way of life hahaha. They (as I'm now unsure of gender hahaha) live with our lone goat; they are a hilarious pair indeed! During the day, Freckles free ranges. But I know where they are at all times and follow around and nothing šŸ˜‚šŸ˜¬šŸ«  I usually check around the goat house quite frequently, and have seen not a dang thing in there in all the spilled hay. Freckles could very easily I'm sure, have a nest hiding somewhere I'm sure also!!!!
Im not sure where you live Im in Colorado, but my runner ducks are not laying yet, 4 young geese in the flock 10 seasoned girls none of the main flock have laid. So out of 29 waterfowl girls I have one young girl who is a spit white laying.

Back
Top Bottom