Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

Very nice!
thumbsup.gif
Love seeing the progress.

You've done a great job developing those birds. It's a valuable addition to America's poultry. Congratulations, and thanks.

Very pretty birds. How is the best way to introduce Lavender into the herd. I have no specifics in mind right now what breed or anything, just curious.

Thanks everyone!

Chickanmanfromarkansas - Depending on what breed you want to introduce lavender to, you will need to locate a bird who has the most traits to fulfill that breed and work with it from there. If you're bringing in a new breed, it will take several generations to get it right and lots of hatching and culling along the way. If you're referring to working on lavender orpingtons, there are a lot of project birds out there that would give you a good start. Hopefully others are working towards improving their lines as well to get them to breed conformation and we'll see lots more showing much better type and size.

I was thinking alongthe lines of Plymouth Rocks or Wyandottes. Maybe even Polish. This would definately be down the road project, just like to think ahead.
Thanks for the prompt answer.

Lavender Rocks or Wyandottes would be awesome!

Mississippifarmboy - It's so hard to show them in a picture, as the pictures never do them justice. They are much more appealing and so beautiful in person. Let me know if you need help finding some. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

I'm not too familiar with wyandotte combs, so not sure how hard that would be to work with since orps are single combed. I know both rocks and wyandotte are yellow skinned and orps are white skinned, so that would take a little extra to work out and get right. Not impossible though, as we had the same issue with araucana when we first obtained stock and have successfully achieved yellow skin on our birds over the years. You just have to select for it along the way, as well as the other breed characteristics you're working on.

Back
Top Bottom