Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

WOW Jodi you sure came a long ways to get to the goal you need for the Lavenders. You are really getting very close, I mean CLOSE to the Orp standard to make it cookie cutting patterns on the future generations to come. I did not realize that you took a Black Orp roo to "strengthen the line" but I understand the reason behind it!

Just GREAT JOB!

th.gif
beautiful! my favorite bird in my favorite color. spring can not come quick enough! I have to get in on these!

Thanks Ewesheep! I was not 100% happy with the overall look of them and the recessive mottled gene, so decided going back to black orps again was the best way to continue improving their conformation and eliminate unwanted genes, as well as strengthen the line with new blood.

bufforp - so glad you like them!

hoppy - the bird is pictured in my first post. He is not a "breed" per se, but a combination of genes (some of which I wanted to use for my project).
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks hinkjc, I would love to find a few. I'm not much on shipped hatching eggs or shipped older chickens for that matter, but I'd be willing to drive up to 300 miles for a few started birds or maybe older ones (looking for around 3-5 hens & a good roo), and I'd be willing to pay a fair price too.

I so admire those of you who are developing these beautiful varieties and who are willing to help those of us who are trying to learn more about them. I've been watching the lav orp thread every since I found it, just love this variety and enjoy reading about not only the chickens themselves but also the people like yourself who are working on them. I get a little lost in the whole poultry showing / APA standards / and frankly - the genitics stuff. I'm just a country boy with a pure and simple love of chickens (and most other animals for that matter). We raise all our animals because we love them and it's relaxing for me.
Thanks again!

I find most learn by trial and error, along with trying to predict outcomes. This particular project threw us a few challenges, but overall it was mostly time, money and a ton of hatching and space to grow out birds. Our goal in offering early generations to others was to get other lines developed in case something would happen to ours and the work would not be lost. We also thought it would be best if other genes were brought into the project to keep the variety strong. Hopefully someone will share work they have added to the project, as we just don't hear from very many folks that they're actually working with them to improve them. I know a select few are and I've also since then isolated a later generation flock not too far from me to ensure our work is retained. But it would be wonderful to see progress being made elsewhere too.

We're also working on developing lavender araucana, mille fleur (jubilee) and mottled orpingtons. The mille fleur pattern is a bit more complex combination of genes. We are enjoying learning more and more as we go along.

That's been discussed in numerous threads without much success, so for the sake of respecting a rooster who is now deceased, it doesn't really matter. The lav project birds are out there for everyone to enjoy their projects and do as they see fit. I would love for everyone to work on them to continue improvement towards pure orpingtons or develop their own lavender breed - and that was the original intent of sharing our birds - I only have control over what I am doing here. The 5th generation "babies" are growing nicely and showing significant improvement over past generations, which was the point. We've come a long way and it was no easy task. I'd still love to see other's progress too.

Quote:
I understand.

It's just natural for curiosity to strike when you find that the U.S. Lav Orp Derived from one Rooster. Nothing wrong with asking.

It only takes one rooster to develop a new color variety. It is the next steps/generations that get you there though. I am developing jubilee (mille fleur), black mottled and buff mottled orps. It ony took one rooster to kick start those projects as well.
wink.png
The rooster simply needs to carry the genes you are looking for and matching him to the right hens will get things going. Then one makes ongoing decisions that may or may not take you in the right direction to develop the color on a breed.

Back
Top Bottom