Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

Hi All,

Is anyone hatching eggs by time of the year?

I ran across this thread recently:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=429468&p=2

"In regards to raising large fowl hatch as early as possible to keep size up. Jan, Feb, March. In bantams hatch the first chick on March 1'st and stop about April 20th. That will keep the size down. Bantam breeders up north hatch chicks out like large fowl and most of the bantams are to large. Down here in the south I have found this to be true. This is a method I have done and now all the bantams are done this way. If the eggs do come out early I will sell the eggs to people or hatch the chicks and send them as started birds. But with my heat down here its a waist of time to raise them for show birds. As breeders they are fine.

I hatched some large fowl white rocks a few years ago in June they where one pound smaller than the same baby chicks hatched in Jan and Feb. Why I think the heat slows down the growth or they don't eat as much. The chicks from these smaller birds however, if hatched in Jan and Feb the next year will be normal size.....

That's how I do it and it works for me.
You need to buy you a cheap digital scale and weigh your birds so you know if you are in the ball park. In American Breed Large fowl it is better to have your birds at age ten months to be about one pound over standard weight. You get a nice 24 ounce per dozen set of eggs and your chicks will be right on the money.

Hope this helps you. Robert Blosl"

Quote:
There are several people here at BYC, particularly on this thread that offer hatching eggs through auction or private sale. You may also find that someone with lavs lives near you. Sometimes, although not often, you will find someone willing to ship live chicks. I ended up having to buy an icubator, order the eggs and hatch them myself. Lots of fun!!!!

Quote:
I would start with some hatching eggs from either a top exhibition Black Orpington breeder or possibly some of the 1/2 English imported birds and some lav eggs. That would give you the black for good type and the lavender for color.

Quote:
I would start with some hatching eggs from either a top exhibition Black Orpington breeder or possibly some of the 1/2 English imported birds and some lav eggs. That would give you the black for good type and the lavender for color.

Do you by chance have any sources or recommendations for Black Orpington breeders?

Quote:

Hey Jim.......I thought you didn't like the English birds......

Quote:

Do you by chance have any sources or recommendations for Black Orpington breeders?

Several on here have the 1/2 english type. The UOC secretary has about the best Black orps, or so I am told. A complete breeders listing is available when you join the UOC.

Quote:
If you do this, you would be bringing in the color blue which is not desirable. Does anyone out there in BYC land have 1/2 English true blacks? If so, point them out to me
wink.png

Quote:
That's a great suggestion, Jim. Those big black imports are beautiful, for sure!

Quote:
The imported English come in Blue, Black, and Splash. The blacks from those are the same as any black. There is no "blue" in the blacks.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited:
Quote:
If you do this, you would be bringing in the color blue which is not desirable. Does anyone out there in BYC land have 1/2 English true blacks? If so, point them out to me
wink.png

I believe that Julie has some true blacks in 1/2 or 3/4 English. Right now, all I have is a 100% pure English black cockerel and two 100% pure English black pullets. I am hoping to have some chicks from them this spring/summer, but they will be 100% pure English blacks. The UOC secretary also has some excellent black orpingtons.

I am quite surprised by a certain somebody here recommending English birds given their opinion of English birds and their breeders.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom