Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

We have completed several recrosses back to orps so ours are what I consider orps at this point, however I am continuing to focus on improving them, as I do with all of my flocks. I suppose I don't have to call it a project, but I still do because the work continues.

They aren't looking really Orpy to me yet in pictures. Too thin looking at best. I want them to look more like the picture of the buff hen that scbatz33 posted or her black roo who just took best of variety. So I think it's fair to call them a project for several generations more.

You're entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind the birds pictured were only around 6 months old in those pics and not near mature. People who have seen our orps in person say they are the biggest orps they have ever seen on many occasions, so I don't think judging something by a picture and being so harsh about it is really appropriate. I've seen a lot of standard color orps that don't look very orpie to me either. That's the way of life in the poultry world.

If you want to argue over whose birds are better, you're in the wrong thread.
wink.png
The development of lavender orps have nothing to do with any other color variety or how someone did at a show.

Our black Orps look Orpy, more/less. But since they only get shown in 4-H, I don't proclaim any great type on them. Until a Lav is shown in an APA sanctioned show and takes AOV, they are project birds and don't look Orpy to me.

i think your f5's look great people need to relize that it does not happen over night.you cant compare a buff or black orps that htey have been working with for 100 years or better you have done alot in a short time an it shows i see your birds an you can see every year they are getting better.i see alot of f2's from 3 years ago an they still look like f2's now they never try to work on them.i love that you are starting to get rid of those long tail feathers.

Quote:
I believe that this was discussed a few months back... When to stop calling them projects. I think that the actual goal is to get their shape correct, not to get them APA accepted. That comes later... I don't think that anyone is working towards that until they actually look like Orpingtons. I think that Jody and Charlies' are doing great!

Last edited:
Quote:
Not really a need to be so nasty. From what I have read on this thread Jody is still calling them a project and still working dilligently to improve their type.

I think they look great.
hugs.gif

I know (from personal experience) that is takes a LONG time to get anything correct or even close to the APA/ABA standards when you're starting out from scratch...heck, even when you get something to start with!

Good results take time (money, space, patient DH's, etc).
lau.gif

Anyway, keep up the good work. Due to a lack of time, money, space, and a patient DH--I will be living vicariously through you on this thread...because if I had the time/money/space/and a more loving/patient DH, I would have to add these to my farm.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom