Deworming chickens

I would like to de-worm my "teenage" chickens before they come into lay in September (hopefully).  I usually give my regular girls 1/2 cc for the smaller ones or 3/4 cc for the heftier girls of Valbazen.  Should I drop the dose to 1/4 cc for the "teenagers" (15 weeks old now)?
Thanks!

This is why I worm by weight... No need to guess what the correct dose is, just weight and do a little math. :D The most effective Valbazen dose is ~0.2 ml (1/5 ml) per 2.2 pounds (1000 grams).

cc = ml
.1 ml = 1/10 ml
.2 ml = 1/5 ml
.25 ml = 1/4 ml
.5 ml = 1/2 ml
.75 ml = 3/4 ml

-Kathy

Dewormed chicken eggs should not be given to any other animal. Incorrect dosing with dewormers (by feeding drugged eggs to dogs) causes parasite resistance. How much of the drug is passed through?. Eventually we will be seeing parasites that don't respond to our best drugs.
Eggs are cheap, just safely discard them. Even throwing them on the manure pile is not a good idea. The drug in the eggs should not be eaten by any animal or leach into the ground. And be careful to wash your hands.
Drug resistant is growing across the board. If it continues, animal owners/ farmers will not be able to freely purchase drugs.
Google Baytril resistance to learn more.

This is why I worm by weight... No need to guess what the correct dose is, just weight and do a little math. :D The most effective Valbazen dose is ~0.2 ml (1/5 ml) per 2.2 pounds (1000 grams).

cc = ml
.1 ml = 1/10 ml
.2 ml = 1/5 ml
.25 ml = 1/4 ml
.5 ml = 1/2 ml
.75 ml = 3/4 ml

-Kathy

Thanks! I dragged out my scale and weighed the chickens today before dosing.

What about crushed garlic in water? A natural de-wormer? Trying it until my Safe-Guard comes. Then after treating with Safe-Guard, abstain from the eggs for a month???

Where can I get Valbazen in Portland?? I just spent close to an hour getting to the Urban Farm Store and they sold me Wazine - which only affects round worms!!! Help??

Back
Top Bottom