Deworming chickens

Pics
I'm not a vet, but I know that what other drugs such as amoxicillin, chickens get almost the same dosage as a human being. These dosages are usually available from veterinary drug books. Dawg53 knows a lot more than I do about worming, but he hasn't been online in awhile. His later posts about worming are very reliable. When this sight started about 8 years ago worming was very different, but due to ivermectin and some drugs becoming ineffective due to resistance from the worms, the later posts are better to read.

Thanks. I have another thought regarding the effectiveness of Ivermectin on worms. Does resistance depend on whether you have used the product on your birds or premises before? I'm well out of city limits, we had a few cows eons ago and may have used the product once. Neighbor has had cows forever though. I've never used the product on my chickens though. So, if a person is in an area where the product has never been used or used slightly, would effectiveness still be reduced?

Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) is used off-label in chickens. Most older posts said to give 1/2 ml orally and repeat in 10days which would get the round worms and probably cecal worms. But if there could be the more complicated worms such as gapeworm or capillary worms, then a larger dose given for 3 days (for gapeworm) and 5 days (for capillary worms.) In many posts by Casportpony, she instructed most people to give it the maximum amount 23mg per lb for 5 days in a row since most don't know what worms their chickens have. I usually just round that off to 1/4 ml per pound, and give for 3-5 days.

It helps to not read posts that are too old about worms, since drugs and dosages have been updated. Sticking with threads that have been posted in the last 2 years are usually better. 

Thanks Eggcessive.  I was just worming for roundworms and the birds are not full grown so I gave about .3 ml.  Hope that will do it.  I was just wondering why the amount is so much less for a heavier animal (goat) or if it had anything to do with the type of worm you were treating for.

I think it may have something to do with them being grass eaters vs non-grass eaters. For dogs, cats and birds the Safeguard (fenbendazole) dose is much higher and it is usually given multiple days. Have lots of dosing info for all species if you're curious.

-Kathy

I think it may have something to do with them being grass eaters vs non-grass eaters. For dogs, cats and birds the Safeguard (fenbendazole) dose is much higher and it is usually given multiple days. Have lots of dosing info for all species if you're curious.

-Kathy

Thanks, I would like that for my files.

I'm confused again. I need to worm my flock of 50 birds (chickens, ducks and turkeys). I have safeguard and wazine. This morning I put 3 tablespoons of safegaurd in 5 gallons of water. Is this enough? How many days should I use it for?

Should I use wazine too?? I forgot what to do. I can't give it to them orally one by one, so I just put it in their water. Help?

Vinegar will not deworm your chickens. If you want to treat for all chicken worms, Valbazen would be good, SafeGuard Goat wormer or horse paste will treat all but tapeworms. Wazine will only get roundworms. It depends on the conditions where you live for how often you worm. Twice a year is the average to worm, but people living in hot humid areas may need to do it more often.

The people at the feed store gave you misinformation. ACV will not prevent nor treat worms. I've used it for years and my birds still got worms.
There are plenty of products available for worming: Wazine, Safeguard, Valbazen, Pyrantal Pamoate are just a few.

Squash seeds are questionable at best. I use what I know is effective against internal parasites, no guesswork about it. Our TSC carries wazine and safeguard liquid goat wormer. I recommend the safeguard liquid goat wormer, it costs about $20 for the 125ml bottle and has a 2-3 year expiration date. Administer the wormer orally undiluted using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 3/4cc orally to each chicken for 3 days in a row for large birds, 1/2cc for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

Excellent advice from these posts. There are lots of non chemical worming claims. The area you live in and your climate are crucial factors.
I tried the all natural approach, and nearly lost a couple of chickens. After finding and reading posts here, I now worm every 3 to 4 months alternating Safeguard goat wormer and Valbazen.
My chickens are much healthier. I am also in a very damp, warm, humid climate with soil that is conducive to worms. I hate dumping eggs, but losing a chicken is far worse for me. I read somewhere that if your chickens feet touch the ground (which hopefully they do) it's not IF, but WHEN they will get worms. A sick chicken with worms is a much bigger deal than regular treatments are. If you are in a cooler climate, then twice a year may be all you need.

I'm in Denver, Colorado.. but it has been an extremely unusually wet year.

I added 3 tablespoons of safegaurd to 5 gallons of water today and took away all other sources of water. Is that good? I should do that for 3 days and repeat in 10 days?

Should I use wazine too?

Personally, I worm each chicken individually with a syringe. That way there is no question whether anybody got it or not, or got enough.
That way I know each one got the appropriate dose. I know that seems overwhelming for 50 chickens, but I'd still do it that way. I have 18 chickens.
I go out early in the morning, remove them from the coop one at a time, while they are still sleepy, worm them and turn them out into their run. Til the coop is empty.
Then they can go back in if they want, when everyone is done. No confusion for me.
I would not use two wormers at the same time. If I were going to change wormers I'd wait 10 days before using the second.
If they get the right dose of safeguard, they should not need the wazine now.
It is also a good idea to follow up with a probiotic around the 3rd day. I use buttermilk mixed in scrambled egg, or chicksaver probiotic in their water.

I'm confused again. I need to worm my flock of 50 birds (chickens, ducks and turkeys). I have safeguard and wazine. This morning I put 3 tablespoons of safegaurd in 5 gallons of water. Is this enough? How many days should I use it for?

Should I use wazine too?? I forgot what to do. I can't give it to them orally one by one, so I just put it in their water. Help?

Wormer in the water is not a good way to worm them, but if you can't worm orally, it's probably better than not worming.

How big are your turkeys, ducks and chickens? When I worm my turkeys the small ones get 3ml and the big ones get 7ml. Ducks... most of my females get 1.5ml and the drakes get 3ml.

To get the right amont of Safeguard wormer in the water you need to do a little math... Figure out approximately how much each of them weigh in pounds, add up the numbers (that's the weight of your flock). Take your flock weight, divide by 2.2, times 50, divide by 100 and that's how many ml's you need per day. To worm for capillary worms, give that amount for five days.

Example - 10 six pound turkeys, 10 ten pound ducks and 30 five pound chickens:
60 + 100 + 150 = 310 pounds
310 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 70.45 ml per day for five days

No need to uses the Wazine, save that for a time when you want to treat for just large roundworms.

-Kathy

Last edited:

-Kathy

Thanks, I would like that for my files.

So sorry, I forgot to send this to you! Remind me later and I'll send it in a PM!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom