Deworming chickens

I have had chickens for a year and didn't know about needing to deworm until I lost a chicken and then found a huge roundworm in one of the surviving ones droppings. Tough lesson to learn... I felt so guilty. At least you are catching on before you have a problem!

I used Wazine and Valbazen the first time and then went with just Valbazen when I dewormed the second time 6 months later. I just question how much Wazine they really all get and plus it only kills roundworms. I have not mastered the use of syringes, so I soak the dose in bread pieces and feed it to each bird.

Last edited:
I caught up each chicken last night and gave them the durvet. After they had wazine and then just water with nutridrench in it for 2 days. Planning on durvet another 2 days.

I couldn't find valbazen, but going to the feed store Saturday and getting some for next treatment.

Is it safe to feed my dogs the cooked eggs? I know it's supposed to be egg withdrawl from ppl, but can I cook them and supplement my dogs food with these eggs b/c of course 2 laid eggs already this am after one had been off her lay for 2 weeks.

I caught up each chicken last night and gave them the durvet. After they had wazine and then just water with nutridrench in it for 2 days. Planning on durvet another 2 days.

I couldn't find valbazen, but going to the feed store Saturday and getting some for next treatment.

Is it safe to feed my dogs the cooked eggs? I know it's supposed to be egg withdrawl from ppl, but can I cook them and supplement my dogs food with these eggs b/c of course 2 laid eggs already this am after one had been off her lay for 2 weeks.

You keep saying Durvet, which is Pyrantal Pamoate, but the picture that you posted in the other thread is Safeguard (Fenbendazole). The two are very different wormers that require very different doses.

-Kathy

I gave orally via syringe as per your and dawg54 advice, 3/4 cc for big chickens, 1/4 for smaller chickens, will repeat next 2 days.

So it is safegaurd, even with the durvet name on label (both names on label). It's easy to get confused with both those names on the label for me especially! Lol

Just now just toss eggs in compost for my roses or can I cook them and feed them to my dogs who would both love an egg treat? I'm using the same dewormer on them too.

And on sat when I go to the feed store to get more chicken feed, and stuff for baby chicks, should I get anything else besides the valbazen for next time I worm?

Medicated chick starter is here tomorrow, thinking of picking up chicks Saturday at the feed store (possibly meaties, b/c I need to fill my freezer) or if there are any exceptional chickens for sale, as now I have separate places on my property to quarantine new chickens and got the brooder box ready for chicks.

I have another 2 coops and runs, besides my main coop/run. And building out more coops/runs as my flock expands and I learn more.

Getting my shopping list together.

I gave orally via syringe as per your and dawg54 advice, 3/4 cc for big chickens, 1/4 for smaller chickens, will repeat next 2 days.

So it is safegaurd, even with the durvet name on label (both names on label). It's easy to get confused with both those names on the label for me especially! Lol

Just now just toss eggs in compost for my roses or can I cook them and feed them to my dogs who would both love an egg treat? I'm using the same dewormer on them too.

My bottle says Intervet at the top and on the back it says distributed by Intervet, so I suspect your bottle says something similar. :D

-Kathy

Last edited:

I gave some of the eggs back to the chickens and some to my dog (scrambled in both cases). The rest I blew out and decorated for easter. :)

Ok, this is a fresh poop from one of my chickens first thing this morning when I let them out of the coop.
and my 18 week old buff laced ee Daisy just spit up water after she drank some.

Which is what Matilda did 10 days before she died. I'm freaking out!

I'm headed to the feed store in an hour and getting valbazen. What else to get?? I will just be so heartbroken if any of my chickers die after everything I've done for the last 3 weeks after Matilda died.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best?!? Going to go make coffee and wake up my bf and show him pictures of chicken poop while I cry and try not to have a breakdown. Those look like worms to my untrained eyes... is this normal?!?

Back
Top Bottom