Diarrhea in 2 days old quail chicks

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
Hi,
I've incubated some Coturnix Quail eggs and my 2 days old chicks started having some diarrhea. Yesterday there wasn't any. I have incubated them in my apartment and they haven't been in contact with any other bird or animal, so I have doubts of it being a disease.

The water is clean and replaced regularly and the food is just bought from the store. I asked for food for quail chicks and they gave me that.

I have given a couple of them a few drops of water with a bit of sugar the first day after hatching, because they struggled a lot and looked very weak but after 12h they looked pretty normal and healthy. I read it was fine to give it to them.

I also put some boiled egg yolk you can see in the picture because I was suggested to give it to them to help them get some extra nutrients.

I am not sure what's going on. No one died or looks sick right now. But I'm still worried about this little guys. I've read online about quail chicks getting diarrhea and dying.

Any insights? What could it be and how to treat it?

Ty

What, exactly are you feeding them? I've seen pet stores sell feed full of seeds and only 7% protein as quail feed.

The should be on a feed that is 28-30% protein, and it should be ground up fine enough for them to eat.

If any of them are showing a lack of energy, a boost of Nutri-Drench might help.

What, exactly are you feeding them? I've seen pet stores sell feed full of seeds and only 7% protein as quail feed.

The should be on a feed that is 28-30% protein, and it should be ground up fine enough for them to eat.

If any of them are showing a lack of energy, a boost of Nutri-Drench might help.
Thanks. This is the food. It came a bit of in pellets so I grinded it up. I read about that when I was researching. About the protein content, I told the pet shop dude but he said this was fine. I only have his word for it tho, I didn't asked to see any labels since he sells it by weight in a sac. So allegedly it should have that protein content but I can't know for sure. Do you think low protein content can cause the diarrhea?

I don't know what nutri drench is, I am from Spain so I think we don't have that here. What should I look for? A liquid nutrient supplement for general poultry?

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_172807.jpg
    IMG_20221221_172807.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 6
The feed looks okay, but if you can get the nutrition information that would help.

Nutri-Drench is kind of like sugar water but with a bit more in there to give the chicks or a sick bird a better chance if they're ailing.

Do the chicks show any other symptoms? Are they eating and drinking well? The poop doesn't look too bad at this point, but it's good to watch them.

Hello, I am raising Jumbo Brown Coturnix. I use only bottled reverse osmosis water and for the first two weeks I add Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother. I use 3 teaspoons of vinegar to one gallon of water. Quail need 28%+ wild game bird feed for the first 6 weeks, then over the next two weeks it needs to be gradually blended to get to about 22% protein and about 2.5% calcium by 8 weeks. You need to use a blender to make the feed into a powder for the first few days and just put it in a pile on a paper towel instead of in a feeder. I also teach mine how to drink water when I place them in the brooder. I wait 12-24 hours before giving them food to make sure they are all drinking and pooping (which prevents “brooder butt.”).

You can also consider using an aromatherapy diffuser with liquid iodine with kelp (I buy mine at Whole Foods) or food grade hydrogen peroxide. These are both great antimicrobials. This is essentially like a nebulizing it. Dr Sircus has great articles on iodine and hydrogen peroxide.

Organic Pine Needle Oil is also an excellent antimicrobial (I buy the SVA brand on Amazon which is excellent). There is an excellent article called 100 Years of Suramin (Pine Needle Oil is the whole plant from which Suramin is extracted). Chlorine Dioxide is also an amazing broad-based antimicrobial. I have purchased Chlorine Dioxide from mms-supplement with the dotcom. You can also make your own, just search for the article How to Make Chlorine Dioxide by Jim Humble.

The feed looks okay, but if you can get the nutrition information that would help.

Nutri-Drench is kind of like sugar water but with a bit more in there to give the chicks or a sick bird a better chance if they're ailing.

Do the chicks show any other symptoms? Are they eating and drinking well? The poop doesn't look too bad at this point, but it's good to watch them.

Yes, my mom is headed to the store to ask for the label.

Well I wonder if the powder to mix with water for when humans have diarrhea would help, because that I have at home. But who knows about the dose. Then I guess I'd have to ask for some nutrient solution for poultry?
Yes, they're eating and drinking well. Some more tired than others but that's about it.

Do you think have given them sugar water and boiled yolk was a problem? I'm guessing not.

So, try to change the feed to 30% protein if I find some and give them some nutrient supplement if I find some?

Do not give them human medication unless you really know what you're doing. What is beneficial to one species may be toxic to another. If they have a good feed, they won't need supplements or anything addes to their water.

Boiled egg yolk is an excellent supplement if your feed is low on protein.

Do not give them human medication unless you really know what you're doing. What is beneficial to one species may be toxic to another. If they have a good feed, they won't need supplements or anything addes to their water.

Boiled egg yolk is an excellent supplement if your feed is low on protein.
Yes I know, I'm not gonna give it to them. That's why I said I wonder but who knows. Every species has its own nutritional requirements. Different nutrients required and/or different quantities as well. You can't just give it without checking. But that being said sometimes you can use things intended for one species for others, that's why I wrote that maybe someone knew and left a comment about it.

Ok, then I'll continue with the boiled egg yolk. And I just got the label for the feeding and it has 27% protein so that should be ok
They don't seem to know about any suplement for poultry in the shop. So for now I guess all I can do is keep watching.

Yes I know, I'm not gonna give it to them. That's why I said I wonder but who knows. Every species has its own nutritional requirements. Different nutrients required and/or different quantities as well. You can't just give it without checking. But that being said sometimes you can use things intended for one species for others, that's why I wrote that maybe someone knew and left a comment about it.

Ok, then I'll continue with the boiled egg yolk. And I just got the label for the feeding and it has 27% protein so that should be ok
Sounds good. Keep us posted on how they're doing. If they still have diarrhea in another day or so or develop any other symptoms, let us know.

@007Sean is a great resource who really knows gamebirds, so I'm tagging him here as well.

Sounds good. Keep us posted on how they're doing. If they still have diarrhea in another day or so or develop any other symptoms, let us know.

@007Sean is a great resource who really knows gamebirds, so I'm tagging him here as well.
Ok. I'll keep you posted! Thanks for your replies

Back
Top Bottom