diarrhea

earthnut

Songster
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle, Cascadia
One of my 1 1/2 week old chicks has diarrhea. She is eating chick starter and gets plenty of grit. She has had pasty butt since she was born, but has had good-formed droppings in the past. What can I do about it?

Edit with some more details: The poo comes out with a raspberry sound, and it's khaki green and bubbly. She pretty much just has diarrhea at this point, it's not occasional. Otherwise, she's a happy and active chick.

Last edited:
Not sure what to tell you to use for that. My adult birds also from time to time have diarreah cha cha cha and it gets all over my back patio! Gotta love that! My birds free range and also eat their layer food. I also give them scratch now that they are older.
Thinking back,,,when my birds were chicks,,,the first time I gave them grit they too got diarreah. All of them. I think it's just part of it cleaning them out I guess. After they've all had a little grit, I would just take the grit out and keep giving them their starter feed. It will probably stop then. I don't think you should worry too much. Unless someone gets lathargic etc. Good luck, Julie

My chicks are 3.5 weeks old and a couple of them did the exact same thing. Lasted a couple of weeks. Longer than I expected.

It was the two chicks that seemed to have the most trouble after being shipped. One eye-picked and the other was just lethargic for the first few days. I tried to give them a little oatmeal and a little yogurt to help their digestive tract along.

I don't know if it did any good, but they all are healthy and...well, don't have that problem anymore.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom